synthing in small spaces

donaldcrunk

• Members

being a relatively young lad, i've not had the time and money to invest in a decently sized home that some of you are lucky to have. i've always struggled to find enough space to make music in, though it has always been a very high priority. in my first small chicago apartment, i dedicated the entire living room to music. with a female in my life, that is no longer feasible. in my new place, i've been relegated to the only finished room in the basement.

IMG_0528-1.jpg

IMG_0526-1.jpg

IMG_0529-1.jpg

^view from the door looking in on that last one

it's a small space, approximately 11 1/2 feet by 7 1/2 feet. i'm well aware of the acoustic issues this space poses - not helped by the fact that the ceiling is only 7 feet as well. here's the layout:

IMG_0530-1.jpg

i've been messing around with configurations since i moved in this summer, and i've settled on something that works for me through trial and error. however, i still need to maximize the space to its fullest extent and add some pieces that i currently have in storage.

the key word for me is flexibility - in the space marked with a question mark i normally deploy another folding table, and put tabletop stuff + video monitors on for my video work. that changes depending on the project i'm working on at the time. however, because of the large amount of crap that i have still in storage and the means to acquire more it would seem that i need to move vertically as well.

so, to my question - do any of you have any tips for studio layouts in small spaces like this? i'd like to acquire some sort of ikea multi-tiered contraption for the space marked with a question mark - anyone have any suggestions on this?

ALSO - my rack is the center of the recording rig, all signals must make their way there. currently the solution is tons of cables on the floor, and a few across the ceiling. does anyone use snakes (of the 1/4 variety) for spaces like this? that's the only solution i can think of, but i'm having difficulty finding an 8 channel snake that terminates in a box w/ 1/4 female connections on one end and a fan of male 1/4 on the other.

any other tips people can give me for ideas, layout or organization or otherwise, are welcome. please help me before i completely enclose myself in this room by accident. thankx hc/kss :love::love::love:

• Members

I'm a big fan of peg board. There are so many options now, besides just hooks and straight rods. The shelves option could be useful, using sticky-back velcro to hold down various stomp boxes, enabling you to get rid of those two shelf units, freeing up more space. Plus, if you screw the peg board into wall studs, you can get away with 4 or 6 screws in your wall, no more than you would use for some photos.

Baskets:

pegboard-wire-basket-300x300.jpg

pegboard-wire-basket-wide-300x300.jpg

Strip Metal Pegboard:

metal-pegboard-strip.gif

Double Sided Wall Mounted Swinging Pegboards:

wall-mounted-pegboards.gif

If you don

• Members

about 1/2 of these ideas are excellent and require more research. the other half only end in pain and misery :( after i finish my work this morning i will look into the Pegboard more. i remember when i worked at GC, there was 'slat wall' lining all the walls, it was a simple matter to hook in some adjustable arms and plop a keyboard down. i'd love to find some of that slat wall, but i fear the wall is not ready for that stuff. only 1" stringers behind the wood panelling, those are bolted directly to the cinder block. doesn't give me a lot to fasten heavy stuff to.

i'll be back in a few hours to read more about this pegboard, though. i'm intrigued.

• Members

Are you kidding? Borrow a hammer drill and buy some 2.5" tapcons. Get the kind that come with the masonary bit in the package, 'cause you're going to need that for the hammer drill.

This is assuming that the cinderblock is not an outside wall (i.e. it is the firewall between two halves of a duplex). If it's an outside wall, find whoever put in those 1" stringers and paneling and kick them in the nuts.

And you're doing FINE for space. I'm getting kicked out of my workshop room (fixing organs, Leslies, amps) and back into the garage. :( Dang kid moving back home.

Oh well, the rec room is still set up to rock! Organ, stage piano, kit and PA all set up waiting for my boys to show up.

• Members

i'm properly tooled out, so no issue there if i need to hammer drill. but as you guessed, it's an exterior wall. and i will give STG's dad a kick in the nuts for you, as i think he installed the stringers. really wish he had used 2x4s, but the room would be even smaller then.

the pegboard looks cool, but in my research ive decided that i don't think it can support the weight of CRT monitors, a polysynth etc. would be awesome for cable storage though.

the quest continues, thank you all for your input so far

Archived