Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious gear question (le gasp!)

So, I just got my new Firestudio Project which had a whole new-to-me set of I/O, S/PDIF. I've never used it before, but my Lexicon reverb has S/PDIF out, and that's 2 inputs I can't use otherwise, so I went out and bought a digital coax cable (which I assume to be the same as S/PDIF, could be my problem). I hooked it all up, and the reverb came back sounding seriously digitized/downsampled. Like a bad old sampler. Any clue what the issue? Is that just how S/PDIF sounds? I really don't know what I'm playing with here.
    Yamaha MOX8 | E-Mu Emax (SE Upgrade) | Yamaha RX11 | Yamaha TG33 | Yamaha DX7 | Roland Alpha Juno | Roland D50 | Roland JV-2080 | Korg DDD-1 | Oberheim DMX (w/ Factory MIDI)
    MacBook Pro (Core i7) | Zoom R-16 | Yamaha HSM-50s | Cubase 5 | Ableton Live Intro | Novation Launchpad

Video Home System - 80s/Synthpop/Electronic
    Tumblr
    Facebook
    Twitter

It sounds like there is another issue. The S/PDIF should transmit and receive digital audio and not degrade the signal any more than transmitting via firewire or usb.
    Gribs

...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.

G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).

Comment

I'll post examples later. Could it be the length of the cable? The only one I could find in town was like 6 foot long, so I wondered about that.
      Yamaha MOX8 | E-Mu Emax (SE Upgrade) | Yamaha RX11 | Yamaha TG33 | Yamaha DX7 | Roland Alpha Juno | Roland D50 | Roland JV-2080 | Korg DDD-1 | Oberheim DMX (w/ Factory MIDI)
      MacBook Pro (Core i7) | Zoom R-16 | Yamaha HSM-50s | Cubase 5 | Ableton Live Intro | Novation Launchpad

Tumblr
      Facebook
      Twitter

Comment

Are both units set to the same bit/sample rate?

Comment

It'll sound like that if the transmitter and receiver don't agree on the clock frequency. I've experienced it myself hooking up my Virus from its S/PDIF output to my RME. Not only did they have to agree on the clock rate, but I had to actually let the Virus be the clock master, otherwise the ever-so-slightly different clocks in both units would introduce an audible, periodic ticking sound.
          Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Also see Limitations section here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

As the coax cable is new check for any Hi Restance short. Some cable clamps can cause issues on new cables even if they are made well...
            世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

Ah! I bet it was sample rate. I think I had it 48, and the Lexicon is probably only a 44.1 unit.

Tumblr
              Facebook
              Twitter

Comment

Working...
              X