Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender is struggling

Long NYTimes.com story today.

A Guitar Maker Aims to Stay Plugged In
    "I remember when dubstep was just called "LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth" in the '60s" - Alan Parsons

Kurzweil PC3♦Alesis Fusion 6HD♦Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)♦Alesis QS7.1 (2)♦Alesis QSR♦ Alesis S4+♦Alesis DMPRO♦Evolution MK-461C♦Rhodes Mark II Stage 73♦Roland JX-8P♦Kawai K1 & K1m♦

interesting article.
    2006 PRS Singlecut Trem Satin Blue Matteo
    2006 Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic 69 Stratocaster
    Eleven Rack
    Kurzweil PC88
    Kurzweil K2600
    DSI Prophet 08
    "http://www.youtube.com/user/mnewb1

Comment

Interesting article.
      The article also alludes to problems that Guitar Center is having.
      With the whole musical instrument industry down so far, my bet is that a lot of companies are struggling.

Comment

That they have survived so long making ostensibly the same product/s for 60 years is amazing enough. Convincing the easily duped guitar buying public that there is something about a Fender that you can
        The keenest sorrow is to recognize ourselves as the sole cause of all our adversities

Comment

Who thunk selling $100.00 guitars for 2K would be easy anyway?
          Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

It's about creds. They debuted a few classic guitar designs. If I walk onstage with a Fender Telecaster in my hands, anyone who cares knows I play the real thing. It's part of the presentation. I've been thinking about getting a strat or tele lately and (though I buy used, not new) I'd gladly pay three-to-five-times as much for a USA Fender over an Asian brand. I'd be more ambivalent about buying a North American boutique brand like G&L or Godin or any of the myriad others--I believe in supporting small business at home. But they still don't say Fender on the headstock, even if they're actually better guitars.

On the other hand, I wouldn't touch Fender acoustics with a barge pole.
            Hi Mom!

Comment

Newsflash: every company that can't return >20% annually with a profit:employee ratio approaching infinity is destined to "struggle" in our current economy. Ones that make stuff (even stuff designed in the 50s) are at a much greater disadvantage.

Comment

Fender support is nearly non-existent. And when you do manage to make contact, is practically hostile. I will never buy another product from them.
                "I remember when dubstep was just called "LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth" in the '60s" - Alan Parsons

Kurzweil PC3♦Alesis Fusion 6HD♦Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)♦Alesis QS7.1 (2)♦Alesis QSR♦ Alesis S4+♦Alesis DMPRO♦Evolution MK-461C♦Rhodes Mark II Stage 73♦Roland JX-8P♦Kawai K1 & K1m♦

Comment

How many guitars need to be pumped out year after year anyway ... ?!? If I ever bought a guitar, I would most likely buy used ...

and Guitar Center ... owned by Bain Capital ... explains much ...
                  NEW ALBUM RELEASE ... THE END OF TECHNOLOGY ...

http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/releases ... Introspective future/retro pop dealing with themes of authoritarianism, apocalypse and alcohol ...

Featuring "Hot Mess," "Hateful Little Rapper," "Ladio GaGa" and "Somewhere in Time."

Comment

It
                    Hi Mom!

Comment

reading this now.

Comment

I think the accordion analogy is an apt one.

The popular life and death of musical instruments is always tied to the popularity of styles of music. I don't think this is the death knell for the electric guitar as an instrument, but I can think of at least three factors working against Fender:

1. Rock (and electric guitar based music in general) just isn't as hugely popular as it used to be. Let's face it. Most kids these days listen to over-produced techno pop and hip hop, both of which have moved stylistically in the direction of electronica over the last 12 years.

2. Fewer kids are picking up the electric guitar as a serious instrument. It takes discipline. There just aren't as many teenagers dreaming about playing like Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, and Jeff Beck. This generation doesn't even HAVE guitar gods anymore.

3. Fender now has to share the market with a LOT more guitar makers than they did 25-50 years ago. People are looking past the Fender mystique and realize that a lot of other guitar makers can put out really nice guitars that sound as good as a strat or even better for less money.
                        Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

i enjoyed reading this article.

Comment

they should branch out, make workstations, an electric piano
                            I live a life of fearless self invention

If you want to see God laugh, don't make any plans

Good is the Enemy of Great

Comment

2. Fewer kids are picking up the electric guitar as a serious instrument. It takes discipline. There just aren't as many teenagers dreaming about playing like Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, and Jeff Beck. This generation doesn't even HAVE guitar gods anymore.

I think it was a comedian who made the observation that if kids spent as much time learning guitar as they do playing Guitar Hero, they might actually become guitar heroes.

Comment

• Working...
                                X