New to Piano?

JosephViper

• Members

Well, first and foremost I'd recommend a good teacher...I honestly believe that a good teacher is worth it's weight in gold, I know I wouldn't be HALF the muso I am today if it wasn't for the teacher I had...the thing is that there are a lot of scammers out there that have no business calling themsleves teachers, so definitely shop around and don't hesitate to demand to see their credentials...

As for books, the first one I'd recommend right off the bat is the Hanon book:

http://www.amazon.com/Hanon-Exercises-Acquirement-Independence-Schirmers/dp/0793525446

That will start building your technique, but again a good teacher is necessary to ensure thta you're using proper form, sitting properly, etc. etc....

Also there are tons of books and websites as far as theory goes, but there again I firmly believe that a good teacher is needed to really help you get down and TRULY understand the basics of music theory and be able to apply it, rather than just memorizing scales and modes...Good luck.

• Members

Agreed on the teacher. People will plop down 2 grand on equipment then turn their nose up at the idea of $50-$100 a month and a little practice each day to use the instrument. A good teacher who teaches adults is priceless. I started playing later in life and even though I consider myself a self-motivated person, my teacher was able to help me improve many times faster than I could have alone.

If that just isn't possible then there are a few lines of adult piano lesson books, like the Alfred's Adult Piano series and supplemental books. They have a wide range of styles so you learn a few techniques to add to your bag of tricks as you develop your fingering and scales. The adult piano stuff lets you avoid a lot (but not all) of the kiddie music.

Here are a couple of books:

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course, Lesson Book 1 & DVD

Alfred's Basic Piano: Chord Approach Lesson Book 1

Alfred's Basic Adult Jazz/Rock Course Book & CD

Depending on what you already know, I got a lot out of this one after seeing it recommended by others here. This won't teach you to play, but it does help explain music. Not sure if this is your first instrument so I thought I'd throw it in:

Edly's Music Theory For Practical People

• Members

New to piano or new to music? Are you looking to add keys to your home recordings or did you just inherit the family piano and you want to learn to play it becuase you have one? Is your dream to play in a concernt hall or do you want accompany in a house of worship? Are you drawn to duplicate the music of others or do you like to makey our own but want to learn the skills to play what's in your head?

A teacher is critical for almost everyone to learn piano (definitely to play it well) but your end goal and instrament of choice should determine what sort of teacher you want. Playing "The Best of the 80s" from a FAKE book can be very rewarding for many people but is a different learning track than mastering Chopin. Likewise, a teacher who inisists you start with a year or two of John Thompson won't really help you to learn to play Blues piano.

There is enough technique to playing that regardless of what style and final result you are aiming for, you absolutely want a few months of lessons to keep from starting with habits that may hold you back in the years to come. It will greatly increase your enjoyment in the long term. Obviously, if you have a teacher, you will also have to practice...

• Members

Agreed on the teacher. People will plop down 2 grand on equipment then turn their nose up at the idea of $50-$100 a month and a little practice each day to use the instrument. A good teacher who teaches adults is priceless. I started playing later in life and even though I consider myself a self-motivated person, my teacher was able to help me improve many times faster than I could have alone.

If that just isn't possible then there are a few lines of adult piano lesson books, like the Alfred's Adult Piano series and supplemental books. They have a wide range of styles so you learn a few techniques to add to your bag of tricks as you develop your fingering and scales. The adult piano stuff lets you avoid a lot (but not all) of the kiddie music.

Here are a couple of books:

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course, Lesson Book 1 & DVD

Alfred's Basic Piano: Chord Approach Lesson Book 1

Alfred's Basic Adult Jazz/Rock Course Book & CD

Depending on what you already know, I got a lot out of this one after seeing it recommended by others here. This won't teach you to play, but it does help explain music. Not sure if this is your first instrument so I thought I'd throw it in:

Edly's Music Theory For Practical People

Yeah, I've already looked into those, I'm going to get all of them :) Except that last one, I've been playing guitar for 9 years, And have played at churches and concerts, I think I'm good.

But do you think a college class of Music theory would increase my knowledge of the subject greatly?

• Members

But do you think a college class of Music theory would increase my knowledge of the subject greatly?

If it doesn't, then either you are very knowledge or the college is not doing its job.

You might want to consider prerequisites, though.. I don't know what classical music academia is like where you live, but around here, taking a university course on music theory is not for the beginner... I'd think you would want at least Grade 2 Harmony from the Royal Conservatory or similar... would not hurt to go and chit-chat with the prof, though. Some of them like that! (And the ones that don't will hate you anyway)

• Members

Yes.

Probably.

There will be those who disagree with this, and certainly there have been plenty of "successful" musicians who did not bother with music theory.

BUT - if you want to play piano, and perhaps someday write and play songs like Cullum, learning some music theory could help a great deal, and provide you with knowledge that could very well take your lifelong adventures in music to places it may never have gone otherwise.

It is worth trying. Many of us pianists have done so without turning orange or anything.

• Members

Yes, unless the teacher really sucks.

A college class would regularly kick you in the pants to keep learning and not embarrass yourself in front of your classmates. Ideally, the teacher would create an atmosphere in which you and your classmates would push each other to excel. What I learned in the class I took continues to influence my musical life. At the same time, it hasn't stopped me from playing noise and free improv (some people think music theory will lock you into a mental box for life).

Archived