Where is the Moog poly?

• Members

The voice architecture is not the same. I would just go with a Little Phatty KB and three or four slims. There is a video of this on Moogmusic.com/youtube; If I recall it has Keith Emerson in it. I am not sure why Moog doesn't do a poly analog with multiple Phatty circuit boards inside - should cost way less than multiple units. Maybe they are worried about people wanting to do splits and layers or something or edging out/peeving Voyager owners. I own a Voyager and won't get mad if a four or five voice poly with the phatty voice architecture is released for about the same price. In fact I would probably sell some of my other stuff and buy one.

• Members

Hmmm...so if they make a Poly, and it sounds as good, voice for voice, as the Mono Moogs, and they sell it for the same price, or close to it, as the Monos....poof they sell no more Monos unless they drop the price to some fraction of the Polys. Oops - marketing error!

But if they charge 3 times the Mono prices for a 4-6 voice Poly, the price is just too much for all but the rich rich. A dilemma!

nat whilk ii

• Members

For now...

Slim Phatty: $800 x 4 = $3,200.00 USD

Little Phatty: $1400.00 USD

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Total cost of a 5 voice Moog Poly Phatty? $4,600.00 USD

Total cost of a 16 voice Moog OMFG! Phatty? $13,400.00 USD

[video=youtube;wfPMvBxwdbg]

[video=youtube;alg7TOwhpCw]

• Members

People just don't get it.

Moog has had two very expensive, very troublesome polys - PolyMoog and MemoryMoog. Release another synth like that, and the company would be toast.

Yet users will not accept the sound compromises that would be necessary to bring the cost down enough to make it profitable to manufacture. They want all discrete design, no "synth on a chip" nonsense, and they want to pay $500 for the instrument. And woe to Moog if it doesn't sound Moogy enough.

You want a new polyphonic Moog? Get Animoog.

• Members

People just don't get it.

Moog has had two very expensive, very troublesome polys - PolyMoog and MemoryMoog. Release another synth like that, and the company would be toast.

Yet users will not accept the sound compromises that would be necessary to bring the cost down enough to make it profitable to manufacture. They want all discrete design, no "synth on a chip" nonsense, and they want to pay $500 for the instrument. And woe to Moog if it doesn't sound Moogy enough.

You want a new polyphonic Moog? Get Animoog.

As a former owner of a Minimoog, Memorymoog and Memorymoog Plus, I think the Animoog sounds great. Its interface is fantastic and can do things that just aren't possible or practical on an analog hardware synth. You'd need a Haken Continuum controller for $4000 to do what an Animoog interface can do. I don't think the people at Moog Music are stupid, they'll be creating more iOS and softsynth apps soon to take advantage of the low cost/ high sales volume that software can generate. I agree that making an analog polysynth again would be a good way for them to go bankrupt. Software is the future, even for Moog. Notice that they parted ways with Arturia, so it's likely that Moog is preparing their own line of softsynths.

• Members

Moog won't do it because it's more profitable to get customers to buy multiple Slimphatty's instead.

If I were making a modern moog polyphonic synth, I'd do a single oscillator 6 voice design akin to the Juno-106 and Korg Polysix. The moog sound is fat enough and I would fear that 6 voices with more than one oscillator would be too sonically dominating in any musical context. Thinking further, I would go with a more modern Polysix like design. Definately go with knobs instead of sliders. For FX, I would integrate a few of the Moogerfoogers into the design so all the included FX would also be analog. My choices would be the Analog Delay and the Stage Phasor MF's. Making sure to provide a setup to work the Analog Delay into a chorus and ensemble effect into the manual.

Archived