Music Proffesionals I need your advice on a little brat i that is a little genious.

minimoog

• Members

I Have this single parent Friend that has only One Son,and he just Turned 18 and makes her life a Living hell, But this kids Makes Radio sounding music on hes underpowered PC running craked version of FL and auto tune and a Shure mic and some loops

This Kid does not even have piano keyboard to play in! he uses the old computer Keyboard!! to play the notes!, he also sings in the songs and make the lirycs almost on the spot.

One time we where on her car,and he was playing some music

and said "that's my kid" and i said what???!!! and show me other

songs and I also was ?? what??!!

So i went with him so that he could prove me that he made that

music and YES!! it was him and he makes them Fast.! Lirycs right on the spot.

Hes always asking me for help to help him make music

Does not have a formal Job, and does not goes to scholl.

stays all day in the house goes out only for partys and to go out with a Girl.

What do you do with a Kid like that?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

don't go there much, i can actually help him but he makes hes mom such a living hell, and that makes me really think about helping him

He is preatty cool and fun with me.

Ill try to get a clip....

Remember he makes hes music wit a Compaq Celeron 1.2 mhz with about 512 ram

and plays the music on the computer keyboard using a cracked version of FL .

• Members

Teach him that using cracked software is wrong and see how receptive he is to guidance and advice. Chances are you'll discover he has to work it out himself or he never will.

Yea have talked to him about it. The funny thing is that sometimes he will be

reponsive to advice ...

BTW you don't know how many times i have tried to talk to people about using Cracked software?

I even have a fam member That is in the Pro Music Bizz... and we have some Big Time disagrements on that Topic.

• Members

Done with high school ... not going to college ... and doesn't have a job? How hard is he looking for a job? If the answer to that last question is "not very" ... I'd start turning the clock back. First, I'd turn it back to a point where there is no electricity ... at least not for running TV's, computers and or game boxes. I'd also start putting the refridgerator under lock and key - and start buying some pretty plain eats. You get three meals a day on the house ... any extras ... well, you'll just have to find a way to come up with cash. I'd also be providing him with a morning wake up call at 7:30 each and every morning - and demanding a detailed accounting of his job search (i.e., names and places of where he's submitted applications, etc.)

I had to go this route with my oldest. Once it finally got through his thick skull that what he assumed was his baseline lifestyle (which had unlimited access to the TV, entertainment toys and refridgerator) - was no longer an option, it was surprising how quickly he came around.

I didn't tell him he had to do anything. I simply made it clear that what he used to do was not going to be funded by the Bank of Dad now that he was an able bodied high school graduate. Can't find a job? I don't care - start walking the freeway to pick up bottles and cans. Lounging on MY couch, eating MY food, watching MY 55" plasma and playing MY games is no longer an option.

• Members

BTW you don't know how many times i have tried to talk to people about using Cracked software?

I even have a fam member That is in the Pro Music Bizz... and we have some Big Time disagrements on that Topic.

Try putting their music on the Web for others to download for free and see if they still disagree.

• Members

May I suggest an alternate plan? First, let him lay around as much as he wants, eat what he wants,etc., but with NO visitors. Couple that with no using the car or getting taxi service from mom. His clique will consider him a drain very quickly. On the positive side, you as the parent should instill in him the value of goals. My suggestion is to buy him a low-end keyboard (like M-Audio or such cheeze). When he discovers that his musical skills are not sufficient to sustain his fantasy as songwriter, the need for a job should hit home.

Of course, maybe his skills are so scary good that everyone wants his product. Don't bet on it. Richard

• Members

yep that is the problem he is cool with me but looses hes temper very fast when

he does not get what he want's . At the point of almost threating hes mom.

Last time i saw him loose hes temper i told him that he could get sick from that ..and he actually did try to

control himself

But the mom gives in almost all of the time to hes petitions.

But the kids makes some good darn music ..!

P.S trying to get a song to show

• Members

By all means. Don't stop there. Please explain your point of view. Or was that just an attempt to troll for attention?

It wasn't a troll at all. I just can't get behind the notion of someone joining the military for an attitude adjustment. There are quite a few presuppositions there. Perhaps that statement should be explained.

• Members

Okay.

Your response insinuates:

joining the military=killing innocent people

What did I miss or get incorrect?

Well, I'm not sure that this is an argument that we should be having here. Perhaps, putting it in very general terms - if you believe that the military instills a good attitude in people, then I think it's also relevant to consider what the military actually does, and whether there are dangers, etc. One could also comment that getting killed would certainly force an attitude adjustment. do you believe that only the United States military has this positive effect on people? Or does any military? If the latter, then the same advice could have been given anywhere, for any military.

the more directly political argument, about what the United States military is actually doing in the world - well, I'd be glad to get into that discussion, but I think that the days where that kind of discussion is tolerated here have passed. I do think though that suggesting that someone join the military is just as political as questioning that advice.

Archived