Has anyone purchased the $29 BassBoy analog synth yet?

McHale

• Members

NOW we're talking! see.... this is the kinda crap that SHOULD make up the "ANALOG" world..... not $5000 mono synths. To make a sound, you just need a generator, and those do not cost $1000 each voice. I still believe an 8 voice, FULLY ANALOG synth, with keyboard could (should) cost around $800. I'd build it myself if I had the time and knowledge...

but.. back on topic.... no, never heard of it. The YOUTUBE tests sound great

• Members

I'm betting Suit could figure out a way to make 8 of these work as a poly synth. I'm probably going to pick up 3 once the controller boards come out. Two in one case with two controllers that run from the same input (still mono). Would be killer. The third is going to get hardwired into a controller like an EMU or the Vortex.

• Members

its on an Atmel chip, so not analog at all really.

i think it would work well for mchales purpose, a good addition to an existing midi controller, especially if you can devote those knobs to the device.

have you guys seen this, http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1

that thing sounds -fantastic-, and is also relatively inexpensive as a kit ( with your choice of filters! ) same concept as bassboy, just more thoroughly implemented and with an analog filter.

im heavily planning on buying their polysynth when the kit is released: http://mutable-instruments.net/ambika

6 voices of a very flexible digital oscillators, ensoniq-like control interface and your choice of filter models. definitely worth the low price theyll no doubt be asking.

in fact, if the poly gets released before winter, id be willing to build up one or two more kits for someone else. would be a good winter project. looks simple as hell to build.

• Members

its on an Atmel chip, so not analog at all really.

i think it would work well for mchales purpose, a good addition to an existing midi controller, especially if you can devote those knobs to the device.

have you guys seen this,
http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1

that thing sounds -fantastic-, and is also relatively inexpensive as a kit ( with your choice of filters! ) same concept as bassboy, just more thoroughly implemented and with an analog filter.

im heavily planning on buying their polysynth when the kit is released:
http://mutable-instruments.net/ambika

6 voices of a very flexible digital oscillators, ensoniq-like control interface and your choice of filter models. definitely worth the low price theyll no doubt be asking.

in fact, if the poly gets released before winter, id be willing to build up one or two more kits for someone else. would be a good winter project. looks simple as hell to build.

You're right, NOT analog. Now I need to find the original link to brought me to those links. One of them said analog. :( Still sounds good for $30 though!

I had NOT seen the mutable stuff. I may hold off doing anything and wait for the Poly. It's scheduled release date is roughly October, which we're in now so it shouldn't be too long of a wait. And if they made an option to chain 2 together, it will be pretty bad ass. Thanks for the links! I'm excited about future new gear again!

• Members

im sure someone will com up with a way to chain them, if not the company itself.

you should check out some demos on yt and see if the mutable sound is for you. some of the oscillator types are quite distinctive! many have a 'low fi' character, but not like gotharman deMoon lofi. much more usable. the filter type will be the tough choice for me. think id do the 12db multimode just for flexibility, polysynths without highpass filters bug me.

• Members

im sure someone will com up with a way to chain them, if not the company itself.

you should check out some demos on yt and see if the mutable sound is for you. some of the oscillator types are quite distinctive! many have a 'low fi' character, but not like gotharman deMoon lofi. much more usable. the filter type will be the tough choice for me. think id do the 12db multimode just for flexibility, polysynths without highpass filters bug me.

They already have stacking for the mono devices though in a different context. But it shows they are at least thinking like synth nerds think - which is typically not the case with the bigger companies.

I just meant stacking in a way that adds more polyphony (similar to what Moog and Dave Smith did).

• Members

I get so sick of reading about "analog"
digital
synths. The word is almost meaningless at this point
:deadhorse:

OP failed to read the links. :lol: It's pretty clear that it's digital.

I actually am impressed with the sound in the demo, I was expecting something rougher with the limited digital hardware they had.

Archived