October New Gear Thread!

mikelpanky

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Put this in the "nearly new gear thread"--I've had a WICKED case of the stomach flu/gastroenteritis, along with the whole family (wife and three kids) for the last three days. Work has had me swamped, kind of down in the dumps anyway, so a little retail therapy was in order. Browsing the CL ads and saw someone with a Korg Triton LE for "make an offer". I threw him an offer of $300, which I expected would be the starting point for ensuing negotiations....but he accepted. Trying to set up meeting time today to pick it up.

If I like it, I think the Triton may replace the MM6 in my lineup as my general rompler and primary midi controller for the TR. I'm hoping that there won't be too much overlap between the TR and the Triton LE. From what I have listened to online, it sounds like the general rompler lineup (pianos, organs, strings, etc.) is stronger in the Triton, plus a more recently dated soundset. Of course there is the sequencer too, but almost everything I use is live performance, so not much use for that. But I don't anticipate getting rid of the TR, because there are just too many Wavestation-type motion pads in there that I just love.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy

View Post

For $100? Daaaaaaang. thumb.gif

Yeah. This is why I always ask at garage sales. I always ask if they have any records or instruments. The lady said she had a synthesizer from the 80's next door. She said it was worth $400-500 on ebay, but she didn't remember the name or model. She took me over and there it was. She said she wanted $200 but would take $150 at the lowest. I had five $20 bills in my wallet and told her I could get it out of her life right then and there. Obviously she just wanted it out of her life.

• Members

HP EliteBook 8560w. Well okay, work issued this to me, but it is a fine laptop for doing just about everything that does not require a gaming GPU. The Quadra 2000M graphics board is optimized for CAD...

c02715327.jpg

This laptop has a high speed SD slot right in the front, so I bought a high speed 64 GB card for it to put my personal music-related stuff on it. Some people are using the SD slot like a solid state boot drive for Ubuntu and other cool things. Otherwise October is double-whammy property tax and home owner's insurance premium payment month so no other big purchases.

In case you wonder why HP, I have no choice. I get what they issue. At least I can load up the RAM. I decided to stop at adding a 16 GB kit. This thing maxes out at 32 GB which is more than my octacore desktop.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Acid Hazard

View Post

One of the best Euro VCFs available!

I really like what I've heard, and one showed up used on Muffs while the Paypal had money in it, so I pulled a yoink move. Working toward a 90 or 104HP row of Euro - want to do something similar to the Pittsburgh Modular Foundation, with the flexibility to go dual monophonic if desired. Still undecided on oscillators. Thinking to go with two Dixie IIs + some kind of wavetable... maybe a Piston Honda or an E350.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gribs View Post
HP EliteBook 8560w. Well okay, work issued this to me, but it is a fine laptop for doing just about everything that does not require a gaming GPU. The Quadra 2000M graphics board is optimized for CAD...

c02715327.jpg
Funny, my work assigned me a very similar laptop. Unfortunately, hard drive contents are property of the company.

*just checked* Yep, that's the model.

I just got an M-64C for the MKS-80, and have ordered some TL084s and TL082s so I can replace the ones inside my OB-Xa that won't tune right.

Two stupid things happened - one before this, one after this.

Stupid thing before: I blew up a TL084 inside the OB-Xa - which is why I have these chips on the way. Pulling and re-inserting chips while on freak.gif

Stupid thing after: I wanted to load the MKS-80 factory presets onto the M-64C. They ended up in internal, wiping out my nice patches including some Jupiter-8 recreations. #15 Glock Pax (the basis for the JP-8000's "MKS-80 Bell-Space"), #31 Stereo E. Piano, and #43 Strings are worth it, though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
I was about to get a Plugiator recently (I think it's a terrific, terrific deal) but apparently the editor doesn't work on OSX Lion cry.gif

But congrats on yours koolkat thumb.gif
Considering I was able to get it for $199.00 at Tom Lee Music (opened box), I'd say definitely a good deal. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Just ordered one of these to replace my Kronos:

Receptor-VIP-USETHIS.jpg

I've been wanting to try a Receptor for years and finally pulled the trigger.
Full report when you get it please... smile.gif this is one of the things I am considering as I find I am pushing the limits of my Rev B.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyParent

View Post

Full report when you get it please... smile.gif this is one of the things I am considering as I find I am pushing the limits of my Rev B.

I sure will...it's supposed to be here next Wednesday.

Archived