Korg R3 virtual patch destinations

Artmuzz

• Members

I recently bought a Korg R3 and is an awesome synth. However, I am disappointed that there are only 15 virtual patch destinations compared to the Microkorg XL's 34 considering that the R3 is seen as the sound designers synth compared to Microkorg XL.

I wonder why the extra virtual patch destinations were not implemented on the R3?

• Members

My guess is that it had to do with sales figures. The R3 didn't sell well compared to the original microKORG, so rather than waste the resources on giving the R3 a system update like the Radias got, they scrapped the R3 and decided to focus on the mKXL.

One thing I've noticed though is that the R3 actually has the extra patch destinations on the modulation sequencer, so there's still some tricks up its sleeves.

• Members

I went for the R3 instead of the Radias because I already had a larger sized VA and wanted something more portable to lug to practice sessions and gigs. The Radias (with keyboard) was also still nearly a grand at the time. The R3 may be more limited, but it gets the job done. I mostly use the Legacy software for recording and the R3 does a good job at replicating my MS-20 & Polysix patches. The Monopoly is where things get a bit complicated though.

• Members

Why get the trickled down versions and not get the full fledged synth (Radias) instead?

I have the EXB-Radias card installed in my Korg M3 Xpanded but I bought the R3 so I can use it when away from home as it is lighter to carry around and also the motion sequencer finally made me buy it. However I may sell my R3 to buy the microKorgXL just for the exta patch destinations even though the MkXL lacks the motion sequencer.

Archived