Looking for a good portable keyboard with speakers.

monstermaker

• Members

I need something for the main floor of my house that I can move around. I have health issues and I'm looking for something I can move around easily. Yamaha and Casio seem to be making good arrangers these days. I was wondering if anyone here has something like the Yamaha PSR E433 or anything similar.

• Members

I have the Yamaha MM6 which is sort of the "professional" version of the lower cost stuff, without speakers. If I were looking for a cheap, light, portable with speakers, I'd get a Yamaha. Messing with the cheaper PSR series, I find the extra $300 I blew on the MM6 was not justified. They are nearly the same thing. Maybe slightly less quality sounds in the cheaper, but coming through speakers for enjoyment, who cares? If you have health issues, making moving things no fun, why move them? Anyway, find a LIGHT one, I guess, if you want to move it around.

• Members

I have been thinking about getting a keyboard with speakers for my office, and recently went to Guitar Center to try a whole bunch of them. Indeed, Yamaha and Casio were the choices.

To my surprise, the Casios generally sounded much better than the Yamaha PSRs. I have owned Yamaha professional synths and keyboards for many years, but I have to say the current crop of PSR-like instruments left much to be desired. Based upon what I've heard, if I were to get something in the $300-$500 range I'm quite sure it would be a Casio at this point. The difference was significant.

• Members

I bought a Casio WK7500 a couple of weeks ago to replace my 5 year old Yamaha PSR S500 and for half the price I paid for the PSR the WK7500 is so much better. The range of sounds and styles is very good and I was easily able to add another 50 styles from the European Casio website. I did a lot a research comparing the Yamaha's to the Casio's and I find that while the Yamaha's are still good they are over priced compared to the Casio high end range. The thing that lets the Casio down is the LCD display, it is serviceable and does its job but I suppose Casio had to cut the price somehow.

• Members

On the higher end (but can be found used), Yamaha's Tyros arranger series offers an add-on speaker system that features two satellite speakers and a sub. But by far the best internal speaker system on a portable (sort of) keyboard might be the Yamaha CP300's internal 40-watt system.

Archived