Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI controllers with Hammond feel

I've been using an old ELKA X50 as a junky organ sound for a while but it's not exactly reliable for road use. I've also got a Hammond XM-1/XMC-1 to use with a new band but can't get used to using my synth-feel Yamaha keyboard as a controller (and it's ripping my hands up, but a little blood on the keys always impresses the crowd). The X50 has a lovely waterfall bed and MIDI out but if I'm carrying that around I may as well bring the full rig anyway and sack the whole thing off. Are there any realistic options for organ based controllers?

I'm running on a tight budget so would prefer to keep it cheap and light as possible, so far I've only found the Studiologic VMK-161 and the Doepfer D3M that even offer anything like that.

I have a 1st generation Axiom 61 that I think would work well for this.
    if you can find one it should not be much.
    Not quite watefall, they have a small lip.

Comment

If you're good with electronics, it actually would not be all that hard to turn an M3 manual into a MIDI controller.

I played a Nord Stage 2 yesterday and its keyboard is not bad. The travel is a little too deep and the keys aren't quite shaped right. Like a BC maybe? I know, it's out of your budget, but I thought I would mention it in case something with that keybed isn't.

I assume you're looking for waterfall keys, right? Diving board ones aren't too bad, but piano keys for organ absolutely suck.
      --Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85Follow my new band, Dr. Bombay! We're going to be organasmic!

Comment

If you're good with electronics, it actually would not be all that hard to turn an M3 manual into a MIDI controller.
        For years I'd planned to build a five octave two manual controller from a couple of old Hammond M3s I have lying around, but I finally got an A-105.

And anyway, mate stubb beat me to it.
        ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

Working...
        X