Sonar upgrade treadmill: X2

• Members

I see Cakewalk's released X2. Has anyone bitten the bullet yet? It's not clear to me yet if the incremental improvements are worth the asking price, I might skip a version again.

Anyone?

You know, they probably ought to just sign people up for an annual subscription and just pump out improvements as they come up with them.I would be willing to do that if the subscription was reasonable (say $50 - $75 or so).

• Members

I don't like the subscription thing because it puts no pressure on the manufacturer. They might as well under-deliver, as they already have your money anyway.

I also find it amusing that you pay more for upgrades than I paid for my DAW (Reaper), with free upgrades for the next few years. biggrin.gif

• Members

Cubase works the same way. I just skip every other generation. Ableton seems to be a little slower with their development cycle.

Professional scientific computation and CAD software is almost all by license with annual maintenance. This seems to work well for some companies and not so well for others. It also seems to be totally uncorrelated with the size of the development company and installed user base.

One problem with all this type of software is that as a user we climb a pretty steep learning curve. Switching to a different developer is a pain in the rear.

• Members

I don't see the point in getting every upgrade unless you're using it as a primary tool in daily studio life.

I have 8.5 and I sat out when X1 arrived. It's been 2 years and now I've finally shelled out $99 for the X2 upgrade. I'll do the install of X2 tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. It will give me a full Rapture license, the symphonic library (the name escapes me at at the moment), channel strips, lots of workflow improvements, etc, etc.

• Members

Wow! I really like X2. It's a huge improvement over 8.5. I'm so glad I bought the upgrade. And I'm also glad I stayed off the treadmill for the X1 upgrade.

The focus of X2 seems to be on workflow. I think they've done a nice job of it.

And now, I need to say goodbye and get back to exploring X2 further.

Archived