Need to nail a CP-70/80 for cheap. Sound modules? I have a controller already.

pbone

• Members

I've created a couple little samples in Logic that mimic the sound of a CP-80 but I wanted to take that out of a laptop and have something that I can play live. Are there any sound modules worth looking into that are kinda cheap? Is the only worthwhile option here just running a laptop set up?

• Members

I think the Nord E2 rack had a psuedo CP-80 built into it. From their website: "..The piano section is comprised of five carefully sampled electric pianos - E-Piano Mark I, E-Piano Mark I Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Mega Clavinet D6, and a custom Electric Grand Model G..(custom modified G

• Members

I put up a soundfont version (his was Gigastudio) on my site

Cool. Once you have a soundfont, you can probably run it from an iPad with the BS-16i app. An iPad can be a pretty cheap and flexible sound module these days. Especially if you already happen to own one!

• Members
I think the Nord E2 rack had a psuedo CP-80 built into it. From their website: "..The piano section is comprised of five carefully sampled electric pianos - E-Piano Mark I, E-Piano Mark I Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Mega Clavinet D6, and a custom Electric Grand Model G..(custom modified G

• Members
Cool. Once you have a soundfont, you can probably run it from an iPad with the BS-16i app. An iPad can be a pretty cheap and flexible sound module these days. Especially if you already happen to own one!

Ah, great point! In that case, be sure to snag the Splendid Grand 136 soundfont at the same location. Not the best piano for rock and rowdy blues, but great for acoustic music and the occasional piano intro (if you don't already have something better). Try the Rhodes samples, too. jRhodes3c is my favorite, since I play in stereo.

• Members

IMHO the soundfont set above is greater than the NE2 rack module. NE2 sounds good and it includes the wonderful autopan effect, but imo it seriously lacks the samples of soft touch. Even if I play NE2 rack with the slowest possible velocity, both Electric grand sets sounds as if played harder. NE2 rack is much better as cheap source for fantastic Rhodes samples and not to forget the sound effect set.

When listening the CP-80 demo above of the soundfont set, I was stunned how greatly it was sampled, including that amazingly soft velocity layer.

If anyone would like to hear how real CP-70 sounds like, here's some fantastic demos I rescued from bluesynths.com before it went down:

Yamaha CP-70b demos

• Members

If you can score an old Roland SA module like the MKS-20, the Piano 3 preset is similar sounding to CP-80 and in fact works better live IMO.

I actually have a P-330 I'll be selling if anyone is interested (the successor to the MKS-20... same sounds, lighter/smaller rack module)

• Members

Totally disagree. Put some EQ and chorus on it and it's instant 1980s.

Yeah, because it's the most typical sound of CP-70/80. I disagree because what I love about CP pianos is the soft and warm tone and 90% of the sample sets / romplers lacks them because it's the hard banging tone what people are expecting.

Same thing with Rhodes. Most of the people wants the barking sound so most of the samples lacks the soft side (bells?) of them.

What I want is this: Warm and soft CP-70

• Members

Anyways not like you need to know what a CP-80 sounds like but this is an approximation of what I'm looking for. I don't need warm tonez

Then I could recommend you something like Yamaha P50m. They usually goes for almost nothing. Good demo of it's CP sound:

[video=youtube;GhdM5pdg8EI]

• Members

How about a GEM RP-X? It has a very usable CP80 patch not to mention some other very fine sounds. Here is a link to the RP-X audio demo page, (the CP-80 demo tune leaves a lot to be desired, but you can get an idea of the sound anyway)

RP-X Audio Demos

I was hoping for around $300.00 for mine but if interested, we could talk. ;)

P.S. please forgive the attempt at selling something in this way, but it really may do just what you need and some.

• Members

Might be a little outside of my price range but if things change ill shoot you a PM! Thanks for the tip!

I also wanted to inquire about the kurzweil micropiano for CP80 sounds as well, anyone have info on that?

Archived