Anybody here double on accordion?

pogo97

• Members

Thanks! Finished it myself. It is indeed a dandy basement, part of which is finished except carpet. Rather than cluttering up the accordion thread with OT stuff, some fairly recent pics of the work in progress can be found here. The control room is through the right door of the first pic, but the walls & ceiling aren't in yet...

On topic: I'm OK with the little keys, but I find the bass buttons daunting. One of these days I may have to give in and take a lesson or two.

• Members

you also play the violin?

Not so's you'd stay in the room with me, no... Although I once scraped one of those Yamaha electric violins, and it wasn't hard at all to get a pleasing sound from it. Some sort of DSP jigpokery, no doubt.

I also have a clarinet, trumpet, bone, uke, melodica, some diatonic harmonicas, C and E Super Chromonicas, autoharp, half a dozen stringed twangy thingies, and an alto sax (which I just don't like as well as tenor so I never play it). And probably some other forgotten thingies.

• Members

I played the chord organ as a kid - how similar is accordion? If I ever find an inexpensive one on Kijiji I plan to buy it. If the keys are the same size as the DX-100 etc I'll have no trouble on the right hand. I bet doing dynamics with bellows is a blast.

• Members

I played the chord organ as a kid - how similar is accordion? If I ever find an inexpensive one on Kijiji I plan to buy it. If the keys are the same size as the DX-100 etc I'll have no trouble on the right hand. I bet doing dynamics with bellows is a blast.

This qualify as inexpensive?

I have noticed that accordions cost rather more than I'd expect on Kijiji given that everyone's uncle Vito probably has one in the back storage.

Jan LeClair in Kingston plays very well and outside the perceived accordion box.

(Warning: this video contains hurdy-gurdy.)

[video=youtube;lCaqT9zwgwc]

• Members

I have a couple accordions. They're mini keytars and a lot harder play. I'm not a big fan of polka music but no matter what you play, it sounds like polka music! The bass buttons are layed out perfectly for it.

Excelsior:

Excelsior.jpg

Rare Polverini:

P1000075.jpg

• Members

Yep! That (almost) qualifies as inexpensive, but right now I'm shopping for a new Hammond (spinet) Hauler on Kijiji.. I think I may have found one too. Damn, I love Kijiji.

Here's a bit more "out of the box" playing -- Tony Monaco plays Jimmy Smith! --[video=youtube;nGnXUjEoKu8]

• Members

I've got an old 120 bass accordion that was my mother's but it no longer plays. When I had it evaluated recently I was looking at around six grand to get it playable again. Much as I'd love to, that's too many $ for me to spend right now on a hobby! Maybe one day though.

• Members

There's a band called Squeeze Rock out of NYC that plays very fine rock music with the accordion as a principal instrument. Watching them was enough for me to decide it is WAY harder to play one properly than any keyboardist can possibly imagine.

Archived