MOTU DP 8 is out and is supported on Windows 7

Gribs

• Members

I received an email from MOTU this week marketing DP 8 and was surprised to see it is supported on Windows 7. Looking at the history, I guess this was announced at NAMM during the summer and I never noticed.

Jeez, I just upgraded Cubase from 5 to 6.5 and am trying to re-familiarize myself with that after not using it for over a year. A lot of you guys who are on Macs like DP 8 right? Or am I thinking Logic Pro. Anyway, I just think it is interesting thinking about this - probably just wasting my time when I should be doing something creative with the tools I have now.

• Members

I'm still on Cubase 5 and can't upgrade to 6 myself as I'm running everything on a Win XP SP3 box. Cubase 6 requires Win 7 IIRC. I'm dying to get 6 so I can try PadShop and HALion Sonic. I know it's past time to upgrade my PC.

Spend some time reacquainting yourself with Cubase. I use C5 almost every day and would be totally lost without it. Can't even force myself to use the hardware sequencers in my Kronos, ES6 or M3 anymore. DAW's have come so far now that it's hard to step back in time. Glad to see that DP is supporting PC though. I was a Logic fanboy until they went Mac only many years ago. Nothing against Mac's at all, I was just heavily invested in PC's at that time.

• Members

As far as I know W7 version is not yet out. They're just marketing that it will support W7, but on the order page they say W7 version will be released at a later date.

https://www.motu.com/store_products/upgrades/dp/

* The Mac version of DP8 is available now. As part of your DP8 upgrade, the Windows version will be available to all registered DP8 users in the near future. After you upgrade, please log in to your motu.com account to make sure we have your current email and shipping address so that we can contact you when the Windows version ships.

I must say that it's quite pricey. No thanks. biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gribs View Post
A lot of you guys who are on Macs like DP 8 right?
I don't have DP8 yet, but I've been using Digital Performer since about 2003. I started sequencing with Cakewalk for DOS back around 1991, and used Cakewalk until I switched to DP.

At the time that I switched to a Mac, I did all of the reading I could find about both Logic and DP. DP had won some big award from EM magazine that year, and there was a big article about it. My perception was that DP was more similar to Cakewalk/Sonar, and that it might be easier for me to start using.

I have been using DP for about nine years now, mostly as a MIDI sequencer. I only use the audio capabilities to record my synths. As such, there are a billion features that are lost on me.

As a sequencer, DP seems to be linear-oriented, which is the way I work. I use DP as a multi-track MIDI recorder, and am not one to do a lot of looping or work with patterns. I work in the track window 90% of the time, jumping into the MIDI event list or notation windows just to fix a wrong note here or there. All of these, along with the mixer screen, are about a straightforward as they could be.

For me, there's nothing exciting or exotic about Digital Performer. It just works.

• Members

Ugh, I just typed a thank you note to you guys and some comments and it got lost in a server error. HC is having some major issues I guess.

I am sticking with Live 8 + Cubase ... whenever DP-8 is released for W7. The customization looks awesome though - and I don't mean the themes I mean the way you can change the layouts to match your workflow.

• Members

Personally, and I can't stress PERSONALLY enough, I hate DP. DP is a fine program and it works fine, and it does everything one needs it to and a whole lot more. The issue I PERSONALLY have with it, is that, TO ME, none of makes sense. Other then the common basic generic stuff like recording audio and midi, almost 100% of everything I try to do in it ends up requiring some 600 page manual reading, or internet look ups and posting in forums to figure out. And I'm not an idiot. I use REAPER all the time with no manual - maybe I looked something up once, and figured out Protools with zero training and they both make sense when relating back to the real hardware I have used in the past. Even Cubase, Studio One, and half a dozen other DAWS I have messed with just made sense. But DP seems off in left field somewhere with its lack of user friendliness. I want to make and record music, not be hampered by trying to find where to do what and how many extra clicks it takes in a buried menu to get there.
It's not that I haven't used it much.... going on 4 years now with some mac-head friends who swear by it - yet some how haven't any idea how to do any of the basic things in it like solo button functionality.

Anyway, it's a fine program that I hope I never see again. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wwwjd View Post
Other then the common basic generic stuff like recording audio and midi, almost 100% of everything I try to do in it ends up requiring some 600 page manual reading, or internet look ups and posting in forums to figure out. And I'm not an idiot.
I have to agree with you... Digital Performer seems to be simple and straightforward, but I, too, have always had to keep the monstrous manual handy. The DP7 manual is a whopping 1,084 pages. I have no problem with the things I do all the time, but straying from my routines can sometimes be challenging, as DP is not always as intuitive as it should be.

The good news is that they DO ship a manual with DP, and there are a couple of really good forums with people who are always ready to help out.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd

View Post

MIDI sequencing with Digital Performer 7. Quite straightfoward, except... would you intuitively know to Option-Click on a track name to change it?

They still have that? I'm on version 5, but I'd hoped they would have changed that to right-click by now.

Archived