Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Hammond Historians, what model is this?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond Historians, what model is this?

It looks pretty old, and it goes on sale Friday at a yard sale.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Gear: buncha stuff and a couple bazilion cables</font></div>

Hammond S6 Chord Organ.

Did not use tone wheels.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by piano39
      View Post

Hammond S6 Chord Organ.

Did not use tone wheels.

Thank You! No tone wheels means that I'm not camping on their lawn Thursday night.

I thought that it might have been a Novachord or something similar.

Again, thanks.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Gear: buncha stuff and a couple bazilion cables</font></div>

Comment

This is a Hammond Novachord. 'Tis only one kind.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right">Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.</div></div>

Comment

Here's the link if anyone's interested: http://cosprings.craigslist.org/gms/3344211880.html

Comment

You need to buy that thing just for the big, honkin' switches. Those are awesome!
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right">Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.</div></div>

Comment

Some demos on the 'Tubes make it sound pretty much like a combo organ. Meh.

Comment

"Northern Hammond" (made in Canada) "to a good home" sitting on kijiji these days. I'm pretty sure it has tonewheels but no Leslie and likely no output

Hi Mom!

Comment

Hammond model M.

Pros: tonewheels, scanner vibrato/chorus, waterfall keys, sounds great through a Leslie, lots of pure Hammond mojo.

Cons: no harmonic percussion, no presets, vibrato is non-selective (on or off for both manuals at once, not split), sounds meh without a Leslie, 250 lbs, at least 60 years old, so probably gonna need a cap or two...
                  ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

You can find M-3s (same as M but with percussion) here in the midwest for $50-$100. It's pretty much the only spinet worth buying IMO.

A model M would be worth taking if it was free(ish) and working.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Moe<br><br>---<br><br>It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.hotrodmotm.com">http://www.hotrodmotm.com</a></div>

Comment

The Novachord lacked tonewheels, but I would almost certainly camp on a lawn for one.
                      ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

The chord organ is a very very distant descent of the Novachord, if it makes you feel any better.

That Northern Hammond model M -- I offered to take it away for them a number of month ago, but they want money for it. I would gig it if I could get it working right -- I'm not using percussion at all on my L100 in my current band. Just not my style, unless playing something like AWSOP or Child In Time.

piano39, how do you differentiate the S6 from the earlier models?

Here is a Hammond Chord Organ played by a pro, side-by-side with a B3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE6ay6u96n4
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">--<br><br>Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85<br><br>Follow my new band, <a href="http://DrBombay.ca/connect.html" target="_blank">Dr. Bombay</a>! We're going to be organasmic!</div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bruto
                          View Post

It looks pretty old, and it goes on sale Friday at a yard sale.

How timely is this post? My bass player has one and I just did some research on it yesterday for him! It's an S-6 and there was one on EBAY yesterday for $125 with a BIN of $159. Probably worth under $100. I played it Saturday night. Doesn't have the B3 sound at all. Actually sounded horrible. I'd pass on it.

From the theatre organs site:

S6 Chord Organ

Synopsis: Autochording organ.

Manuals: One 37 note manual.

Features: Three sections: Solo unit, Chord unit and Bass unit with seperate volume controls. Solo unit is monophonic and driven from the keyboard, taking the highest key pressed, the chord unit is driven from tabs which has one oscillatoe for each group of two or three keys, preferring the lowest one, and two pedals to play the bass notes; one for the tonic and the other the fifth of the current chord. Very difficult to keep in tune. Two internal speakers.
                          '57 Hammond B3; '69 Hammond L100P; Hammond XM2/XMc2; '68 Leslie 122; Motion Sound Low Pro/Pro 3T; Neo Vent; Kurzweil PC3; Generalmusic Equinox 88 Pro and 76; Voce V5+; EV ELX112P; '67 Howard Combo Organ; http://www.dyinbreedband.webs.com

Comment

There's an S6 in great shape going for $50 here on Craigslist. I've thought about it. I have a Leslie preamp, so I could run it through the Leslie for grins.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by delaware dave
                              View Post

and two pedals to play the bass notes; one for the tonic and the other the fifth of the current chord.

Wow, that's a pretty unique feature. I've seen one of those IRL, unplugged, probably didn't work, and didn't even think about the pedals. Are there any other organs with this type of bass pedals?

Comment

Working...
                              X