Which would you choose?

chiro973

• Members

Hello Meatball Fulton, Yes Sledge is available from many sources for several months now. The other boards I have are a Yamaha MOX 6 and a Roland Fantom. (those are what I am using live, I also have other boards at home).
So which would you choose, and why?

• Members

The Sledge looks like a nice synth, but I'd say the Virus KB is a better value at half the price. Virus KBs can be had for around $800-$850, while the Sledge is $1600.

As to why I'd choose the Virus, it's about the best VA you can get for under $900. It excels at punchy and deep bottom end bass sounds, edgy leads, warm pads, and even does really good analog emulations. It's one of the most versatile and quality sounding VAs I've ever owned.

The Virus B is on the short list of VAs I'd never get rid of.

• Members

which virus model are you considering? a secondhand B or C or the current model?
Anyways all of these sound better and more versatile then the Sledge IMHO. I had a Sledge here for review and it didnt really excite me too much. Basic sound was OK but the filter was kinda lame as were the effects

• Members

I didn't realize the Sledge is available. Thomann has it listed in stock for 966E which is about $1220 right now, but I can't find a place in the USA that has it in stock? BH Photo is listing it as backordered and for $1599. That price is more than a little disappointing; I hoped that it would come in at about $1000. Novamusik still has it shown as a preorder. Something weird has happened to Novamusik. The last time I tried to buy something from them via an offer in Ebay, I received a message that they were in the process of being purchased by another company. I noticed they are out of stock of many items and have been for a while now. :'(

• Members

It is difficult for me to consider an instrument like the Sledge that I haven't heard or played yet.

But as you know, the Virus instruments are legendary virtual analogs at this point. They have many fans, but many serious detractors as well (too overused, overhyped, too techno, etc.).

If you're looking to complement your romplers with a VA for cover tunes in a band, the Novation Ultranova, Korg MS2000, Korg Radias, and Roland Gaia are also worth considering.

• Members

Recent Sledge vid, to give you a flavor of its sounds:

When considering the virus I immediately think of other synths... I have managed to resist buying any Virus so far, partly as the interface could be better for the money. They sound OK so do others with more of what I want, if you need the sound of a virus get a virus. Otherwise listen to tonnes of synth demo's and find out what you really like...

As for the Sledge, I like the almost over the top effort on the interface, although it seems at a cost to some flexibility as Dr.Wu points out. So far the sound demos are OK but too many sounds are not my cup of tea, so I am fast forgetting this. Still hip hip hooray on the interface and I hope people that like the sounds have a ball as it looks Kool

• Members

I think that the familiar sound of the Virus is more like the sound of the Virus presets. At the core, they are versatile VA's with lots of extra digital stuff added (wave tables etc) and excellent effects. There was a time when used TI's (ones not twos) could be obtained for a very good price, but I am not sure if that is true anymore.

• Members
Richard Bundy! Incredible synth face there Totally_jammin_out.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs View Post
Something weird has happened to Novamusik. The last time I tried to buy something from them via an offer in Ebay, I received a message that they were in the process of being purchased by another company. I noticed they are out of stock of many items and have been for a while now. :'(
They were bought and some of the inventory (lots??) was liquidated rather than transfered to the new owner. I called a week or so back and was told that the website is up to date with what they really have in stock frown.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Meatball Fulton View Post
Richard Bundy! Incredible synth face there Totally_jammin_out.gif

They were bought and some of the inventory (lots??) was liquidated rather than transfered to the new owner. I called a week or so back and was told that the website is up to date with what they really have in stock frown.gif
Ouch! I wonder who owns them now? Will the store continue to be a cool and dependable place staffed by synth nerds? Will they replenish some of the more intersting stuff? Everything by Access is listed as out of stock.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Recent Sledge vid, to give you a flavor of its sounds:

When considering the virus I immediately think of other synths... I have managed to resist buying any Virus so far, partly as the interface could be better for the money. They sound OK so do others with more of what I want, if you need the sound of a virus get a virus. Otherwise listen to tonnes of synth demo's and find out what you really like...

As for the Sledge, I like the almost over the top effort on the interface, although it seems at a cost to some flexibility as Dr.Wu points out. So far the sound demos are OK but too many sounds are not my cup of tea, so I am fast forgetting this. Still hip hip hooray on the interface and I hope people that like the sounds have a ball as it looks Kool

I can't say that video has won me over in the slightest - if anything it's a good reason why one would get the Virus IMHO.

Archived