How do YOU write?

selfinflikted

• Members

Fellow synthesists and musicians, when you write and compose music and songs, what is your preferred method? How are you most productive? Do you write lyrics first and then music? Or do you put your words to music you've already written? It's a slow day at work, and I can't think of much else to talk about... wink.gif

Usually (read: almost always) the music bits come first, for me. Most often, I'll come up with short hooks or riffs while noodling on the keys or futzing around on the guitar, and then try to flesh out those ideas into something more structured. Nine times out of ten, I write lyrics last, and usually phonetically, as odd as that may sound. As I'm putting together music, I can already hear syllables form in my head, and I try to write lyrics that accommodate that. That probably doesn't make much sense, but it's what I do.

• Members

I write similar to the way you do. I'm usually fooling around practicing and run across a riff or motif that I think might be "development worthy" so I record it (usually into Cubase) so I can work on it later. Sometimes it will start with a drum track, or a cool funky bass riff, or I'm playing around with guitar and something clicks. Sometimes I'm playing around in Omnisphere (I still don't think I've ever made it through all the presets) and I'll kick in an arpeggio and I'll record that. Rarely ever do I write lyrics. When I was yound and in my teens and twenties, all my songs had lyrics - and I sang most of them. These days I pretty much focus in instrumentals. If I feel it's calling for a lyric I'll try to write one. When I was young I wrote most of my stuff on guitar so maybe that had something to do with it?

I wish I heard syllables and melodies in my head. I'd probably be more inclined to write some lyrics. As it is, I'm just the king of 8-16 bars snippets! lol
The only thing I hear in my head are voices ...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by midinut View Post
As it is, I'm just the king of 8-16 bars snippets! lol
Hey, that's MY title! It's funny, though, because I just pulled a really old PC out of the closet the other day because I have an old Cubase "lite" version on it along with TONS of projects that I never developed. I'm actually glad I did this, because there are some really good (well, I think so) snippets there. Now I have some stuff I can go back to for inspiration when the music stops flowing.

I am REALLY trying to find someone in my area with similar musical interests and tastes to do some collaborating with. I just feel like if I had one other source of some really good input, we might could come up with something awesome. It's hard trying to do everything yourself, honestly, especially with as little time to devote to music as I have. But it's still my greatest passion, even if I'm the only one that'll ever hear it. I've got a "spooky" song in the works right now, and I'm hoping to get it posted to the "Let's Hear It!" thread before halloween. I am going to attempt vocals. How embarrassing! :p

• Members

All sorts of ways:
1. Chord progressions in Sonar's piano roll.
2. Guitar chords transcribed to piano roll or staff music.
3. Bass lines laid in, then chords over - usually for dance music.
4. Traditional staff paper in Anvil Studio. I do this when working in specific modes.
5. Noodling on the keyboard while recording the midi notes in Sonar. Then play it back and see what I like.
6. Noodling on the guitar while recording. Then play it back and see what I like.

• Members

Great topic...unfortunately I'm currently in the midst of the WORST {censored}ing writer's block I've ever had, it's been going on for like a year now, it {censored}ing sucks, but I just can't seem to do anything creative or original to save my life, and it's killing me, it's like somehow when I hit 30 all of the sudden my brain just changed and the musical part of it was just gone...I've been using the time to REALLY get a good handle on how all diff types of synthesis work (i.e. wavetable, FM, subtractive, etc. etc, and REALLY understanding oscillators, filters, envelopes, etc. etc.) AND really getting a good grasp on mixing and mastering and understanding how EQ, compression, multiband compression, busses, things like that really work and stuff, aeven though I had a pretty good grasp of all of the aforementioned before, and I've also been using the time to lean classical pieces and do solo piano arrangements of various pop tunes, but still it sucks..

Anyways back when I was writing I would usually just loop a beat that I liked, then pick a key or scale or mode and then either lay down a bassline or progression, then go over it keys or pads, then shred over it, unfortunately I'd say that describes the vast majoriy of my music LOL I had also composed all kinds of other ways, the second most picking a sound or preset I really dug and going from there ( I know, using presets is heresy!!! LOL) but that was by afar the most....it sucks cuz I'd literally come up with hundreds of ideas since I started playing and writing and recording, and even though a lot of them are me just screwing around, there is some solid music in there (IMO anyways)...

• Members

That sucks you're having a tough time with writer's block. I know it happens to me too, and for extended periods sometimes, and I'm sure everyone gets to experience that thrill at some point. But, I think what you're doing in the meantime is using your time wisely. I do pretty much the same thing when the musical well dries up. I'll mostly noodle around on a synth and work on sound design. But for now, I'm basically a fount of new musical ideas and songs, even to the point that sometimes here lately, I feel like I can't get it all out fast enough before I forget it or before my brain moves on to something else.

I'm really enjoying hearing about how everyone else creates. It's nice to get a different perspective sometimes. :thumbsup:

• Members

I'll play around and if I play a hooky riff, I'll record it real quick and try to add a few things with it. At the same time I'll usually get some little melody going in my head or maybe some phrases and I'll hum it on tape too. I've had songs come together in ten or fifteen minutes before, then all I have to do is grab a theme and write lyrics around it. idn_smilie.gif

My last CD had a few of my ramblings that I've done on the songwriting forum come together and form the base of a song, so I'll wrap a tune around that, but usually it comes together better if I have the tune in place first.

• Members

My discipline for this year is to produce one 3+ minute track per month - every freakin' month(even if I get no sleep)

I have been starting lately with a drum section, then adding changes, adding an A section melody, B section, finally adding a vocal(if it works), then work-out the middle break & outro

see my SC page below for examples

• Members

I also keep multiple methods of recording nearby and generally "ready to record". In addition to Cubase 5 and Ableton on my PC, I have 3 workstations with built-in sequencers (2 are leaving soon), a Zoom R24 which I'm using as an audio interface but is ready to record anytime, and a Zoom H4 sitting around if needed as well. If an idea strikes I have no excuse to not capture it.

And for the record ... just because I record it doesn't neccessarily mean it's worth a {censored}.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by midinut View Post
And for the record ... just because I record it doesn't neccessarily mean it's worth a {censored}.
True that!

It's funny that you mention always having a recording device at the ready because I do the same thing: I never go anywhere without my iPhone, and it's got a handy dandy "Voice Memo" recorder that comes standard and I have, on several occasions, loaded up the memo recorder and hummed a melody or whatever into it when inspiration hits. At the very least, that allows me to NOT forget the {censored}ty ideas that breeze through my brain and save them for later. biggrin.gif

• Members

Sometimes I start at the piano with a chord progression but more typically, with a bit of verse or a groove or a melodic fragment in my head---these often drift in while I'm walking (hence the number of songs I write about walking--I should try this while looking at pretty girls). I'll take that home and, with luck and a lot of work, turn it into a song.

You Gotta Walk

A really useful thing is knowing standard song structure--saves figuring out what comes next and usually works.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pogo97

View Post

A really useful thing is knowing standard song structure--saves figuring out what comes next and usually works.

It's true, and I'd think any musician worth his salt would know standard song structure, but sometimes it's nice, or even preferred, to go off the beaten path a bit. wink.gif

• Members

There's little differences every time. But generally, I come up with the finished song in my head and complete the lyrics, melody, arrangement, and instrumentation so it's completely locked in solid and air tight. It could be weeks, months, and even years before I actually sit down with a guitar or piano and pluck out the chords that match the record in my head.

I find sitting down at the instrument too distracting in the early stages. I have to be true to the song before I limit or influence it with my limited musicianship.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tspit74 View Post
There's little differences every time. But generally, I come up with the finished song in my head and complete the lyrics, melody, arrangement, and instrumentation so it's completely locked in solid and air tight. It could be weeks, months, and even years before I actually sit down with a guitar or piano and pluck out the chords that match the record in my head.

I find sitting down at the instrument too distracting in the early stages. I have to be true to the song before I limit or influence it with my limited musicianship.
I wish I could do this. But the RAM in my brain is extremely volatile and thus ideas and melodies are only there fleetingly, so if I don't get it into some kind of medium that can be played back, I'll forget it. I'm sure I'm headed straight for Alzheimer's and dementia.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by selfinflikted

View Post

I wish I could do this. But the RAM in my brain is extremely volatile and thus ideas and melodies are only there fleetingly, so if I don't get it into some kind of medium that can be played back, I'll forget it. I'm sure I'm headed straight for Alzheimer's and dementia.

What he said.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by chevybusa View Post
Great topic...unfortunately I'm currently in the midst of the WORST {censored}ing writer's block I've ever had, it's been going on for like a year now, it {censored}ing sucks, but I just can't seem to do anything creative or original to save my life, and it's killing me, .
I follow the advice of writers like Stephen King: I keep "office hours" of sorts. I write every morning around 7 am. For me, it's the way to beat the fine line that separates "writer's block" from "laziness".

The best cure for writer's block is a performance, whether that means playing Carnegie Hall, playing for friends, posting an mp3 on the internet, etc. Deadlines, even self-imposed, can work wonders. I try to tell someone "I'll be done with this on Friday" as I'm the King of procrastination. I play mental games like "I won't have lunch or watch TV etc until I write so many notes". (Yes, I cheat at times). These days I do a ton of arranging and orchestrations, it's become my primary job. I have the advantage of getting a check when I turn in my work. Nonetheless, I'd be lost if I didn't keep "office hours". I used to hate early mornings, now I love em: Nothing's on TV, nobody to play with on the Interwebs, I get my coffee and I'm off.

• Members

Wrote a couple of conventional-sounding instrumentals (I can't write lyrics) that appeared in my head with melody line, chords, and beats.

That usually doesn't happen to me though. I can't write anything with conventional song structure (I IV V, ii V I, etc.) without being too derivative for my tastes, so I tend to gravitate towards experimental music.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by selfinflikted View Post
That sucks you're having a tough time with writer's block. I know it happens to me too, and for extended periods sometimes, and I'm sure everyone gets to experience that thrill at some point. But, I think what you're doing in the meantime is using your time wisely. I do pretty much the same thing when the musical well dries up. I'll mostly noodle around on a synth and work on sound design. But for now, I'm basically a fount of new musical ideas and songs, even to the point that sometimes here lately, I feel like I can't get it all out fast enough before I forget it or before my brain moves on to something else.

I'm really enjoying hearing about how everyone else creates. It's nice to get a different perspective sometimes. :thumbsup:
Right on man! Glad to hear that musicals ideas are coming out faster than you can get them out, and thanks for the condoelnesnces on my block. YEah I agree that it definitely7 helps to hear about other's creative processes, the only problem is that I'm so stuck in my ways that I can't seem to do get anything done even when trying them!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus64 View Post
I follow the advice of writers like Stephen King: I keep "office hours" of sorts. I write every morning around 7 am. For me, it's the way to beat the fine line that separates "writer's block" from "laziness".

The best cure for writer's block is a performance, whether that means playing Carnegie Hall, playing for friends, posting an mp3 on the internet, etc. Deadlines, even self-imposed, can work wonders. I try to tell someone "I'll be done with this on Friday" as I'm the King of procrastination. I play mental games like "I won't have lunch or watch TV etc until I write so many notes". (Yes, I cheat at times). These days I do a ton of arranging and orchestrations, it's become my primary job. I have the advantage of getting a check when I turn in my work. Nonetheless, I'd be lost if I didn't keep "office hours". I used to hate early mornings, now I love em: Nothing's on TV, nobody to play with on the Interwebs, I get my coffee and I'm off.
Right on man!!! Yeah I actually used to do that in a way, though it was tough depending on my schedule, but like I said unfortunately NOTHING is breaking this goddamned block, it's like that part of my brain is just switched offf!!!

As for performance, unfortanately I'm one of the 0.00000000000001% of musos that doesn't really enjoy performing, I know it sounds weird, and it's not like I have stage fright or anxiety or self esteem issues or anything, it's just that for me the whole experience I had with gigging and playing in bands back in my late teens and early 20's was such a {censored}ing joke/nightmare and left such a bad taste in my mouth that I've pretty much sworn off playing out or any kindof performing at all, and even back in the day I was always way more into composing adn recording, for me I got a thrill out of handing someone a CD of what I had done, that's what really got me off musically when it came to sharing music vs. playing live, I don't know, I've always beenl ike that, probably always will...

Archived