Apps for I pad

Keys76

• Members

If I understand correctly what you're asking about, you could do that with any of the many note-taking apps for the iPad.

Evernote, Paperport Notes, Note Taker HD, and Penultimate are all very good.

I've used a number of note taking apps, and for me the best ones allow you to type when you want to, but also draw and write by hand, and import pictures from your gallery, camera, or the internet.

The better apps also allow you to set up a library of your different "notebooks."

• Members

I use NoteTaker HD for mathematical notes and calculations, optical design notes and drawings, and meeting notes. Autodesk Sketchbook is pretty cool for freehand drawing but probably not for taking notes. There is a free version that has lots of fun features (great for kids and just doing art with fingers on the iPad).

It took some time to get used to writing and drawing using a standard stylus. The tips are much thicker than an ordinary pencil and like giant crayons compared with the 0.5 mm engineering pencils I have been using since about 1983. I have a Rocketfish stylus that is pretty good and has lasted over one year. I has a ball point pen inside it that functions fine when needed. By coincidence, I was just in a meeting about an hour ago for a lighting project that combines many disciplines (electronics, optics, software, hardware CAD/mechanical design, and artistic design) and our artistic designer was drawing with Autodesk Sketchbook Pro on his iPad. It is really impressive to watch an experienced artistic designer draw ideas freehand. I have watched him crank out impressive drawings of ideas at an amazing rate using a black ink pen and white paper but never using an iPad. He was using a type of stylus I had never seen before: an Adonit Jot Pro. He let me try it to write out some equations on my own iPad and I decided to buy one on the spot. It has a sharp tip that ends in a clear transparent plastic disk.

Edit: Has anyone found something that really functions like an index card keeping app? There is an app called index card, but that appears to function more like a bulletin board. I am thinking something like a database - there must be something!

• Members

Don't split hairs about the application you're looking for. You want a "chart management tool" for what you want to do. The only difference is that the content of the charts won't be traditional music score or lead sheets - it'll be whatever personal style of documenting songs you care to use.

Once your "cards" are captured - which is for many a very simple process (how well it will work for you personally will be influenced by how your "cards" are charted now). For example, OnSong (the program that I use) assumes that the first line of text contained in the "card" is the song title - and records it as such. If your cards are formatted with the song title as a the opening line ... it could make some extra work for you.

Keep in mind that most of these programs include a number of other feature that you may not even be thinking about today - but that may present some opportunities for you. For me - those features were the ability to link an audio file of the original recording to each card (which means I can hear the original recording simply by pressing a button when the chart for that tune is displayed). Another example is the metronome. If I've stored the "BPM" for a tune as part of the chart - I've got a metronome beating at the tempo at which I want to play the song at my fingertips.

If you're not sure which of these programs are best for you .... consider buying a couple of 'em to test 'em out and see which works best for you. Most of 'em have a "one-time" cost of less than $10 - making test driving one or two to see what works best not completely out of reach in terms of cost.

• Members

I've got Evernote myself. My GF turned me on to it and it works well I think for what you're trying to do. Only you can tell for sure. I asked her about sorting notes and she replied that if you title your notes with numbers, such as Set 1, Song 2, or 01-02 Polk Salad Annie, then they should sort alphabetically for you just fine and you should be able to flip through them in order. Now if your drummer kicks off a song out of order, then all bets are off.

I worked with Evernote a little further and if you do all your heavy lifting on your PC, it works pretty good. Notes, patches, even mp3 files or PDF charts. Then sync with your iPad.

• Members

Set List Maker is a great program. You can enter whatever song notes you need for each song (charts, lyrics, keyboard settings, whatever... it lets you use PDFs, JPEGS, and other formats), and puts them into a database with multiple searchable fields. You can create as many set lists as you want, with whatever songs you want, and you can click or swipe to get from one song in your set to the next. You can also have it actually send MIDI data out when you call up a song in your set list, so just calling up the sound on the iPad can set your keyboards for the sounds you need. And a lot more. I would not use a generic note taking app for this when you can get SO much more useful functionality out of something like this.

• Members

Set List Maker is a great program. You can enter whatever song notes you need for each song (charts, lyrics, keyboard settings, whatever... it lets you use PDFs, JPEGS, and other formats), and puts them into a database with multiple searchable fields. You can create as many set lists as you want, with whatever songs you want, and you can click or swipe to get from one song in your set to the next. You can also have it actually send MIDI data out when you call up a song in your set list, so just calling up the sound on the iPad can set your keyboards for the sounds you need. And a lot more. I would not use a generic note taking app for this when you can get SO much more useful functionality out of something like this.

Archived