Stage Piano recommendations

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
    View Post

I am not kid conservatory ,, but I didnt notice any difference in the sound. The feel,,I can see. Speakers to me are useless since i pretty much always use headphones in the woodshed. If you do need a monitor ,, just mono out into somthing.

Roland's pianos always had a tendency to not sustain enough, even if they did sound nice. If you tweak the envelopes you end up with an ugly sound at the tail end of the notes with the very obvious looping being audible. The "supernatural" pianos fix that and make the notes decay realistically, and add some nice overtones to the sound as well.

Again, that's just my untrained opinion. I play the piano in a more "pop" and "rock" context so these things matter to me.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by El Glom-o
      View Post

What's the advantage of using the 90-degree 1/8" plug, please?

If you pull on the cord you usually don't end up with something breaking inside and causing crackling noise and/or loss of sound.
      http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Well, my buddy hit me with logic: I have a weighted controller (studiologic sl990), why not just get an ipad (which I'd like anyway ) or a second backup laptop (if I'm worried about it biting the dust) or even a module for backup and save a bunch of $$

I hate extra hassle and cables but I must admit it may be worth it to save a bit of $$

That said, thanks for the suggestions. Seeing as how this is dual-purpose I might get to strike while the iron's hot so to speak and get a nice purchase out of "the boss"

Comment

The main reason 1/8" connectors go bad is people using adaptor connectors rather than an adaptor cable.

Angle plugs are nice in that they hang better with less stress on the connector in normal cases, but IMHO they're worse for strain relief: if they get jerked, they do more damage than a straight one.

1/8" are not what we want in pro gear, but I used a 1/8" jack on a laptop for years, at jams and gigs, with no issues. For one thing, I use a gold-plated 1/8" plug, and for another, I keep that cable where it's out of harm's way.

ANY keyboard that's regularly used for jams gets nastily abused. I had to clean blood off my keyboard, more than once. (Never thought I'd have to pack latex gloves as part of a jam kit!) A couple keys are now broken internally (flyweights). It's par for the course.
          learjeff.net

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by learjeff
            View Post

Angle plugs are nice in that they hang better with less stress on the connector in normal cases, but IMHO they're worse for strain relief: if they get jerked, they do more damage than a straight one.

In my experience, the problem isn't one of cables getting jerked as much as it is of the connectors being somehow bumped into. The angled connector makes that less of an issue. They don't stick out as much (reducing the odds of bumping in the first place), and if you do brush against them, they are not immediately stressing the contact points. The ones that stick straight out are prone to quick failure with pretty minimal lateral force, whereas if you brush against a 90 degree connector, odds are you'll basically just slide around it.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock
              View Post

Roland's pianos always had a tendency to not sustain enough, even if they did sound nice. If you tweak the envelopes you end up with an ugly sound at the tail end of the notes with the very obvious looping being audible. The "supernatural" pianos fix that and make the notes decay realistically, and add some nice overtones to the sound as well.

Again, that's just my untrained opinion. I play the piano in a more "pop" and "rock" context so these things matter to me.

We play country, trop rock, and classic rock stuff. I dont even hook up a damper pedal. I find that I dont use it. What was funny when we did that show where they provided the board in tampa ,, the guy asked me if i wanted one ,, I said na. He starts laughin his ass off ,, because he gets all these guy demanding the pedel in rock type bands and watches to see if they use it and they dont. he said , geesh you are the first guy who said na. I am a a self admitted hack, but it seems to work well and cuts without getting dirty. I started out on combo organs when that was the only instrument you had to play back in the 60s. we are a five piece with electric lead, acoustic rhythm, keys , bass and drums. a mudded up mix with dirty mushy keys all gobbled together really kills the mix. If i need a little sustain i just roll the chord in a little instead of strike it firm, Or slip off the the flatted third. I make do
              "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

Working...
              X