Akai SynthStation I-Phone thingie

mildbill

• 1 month later...
  • Members

OK, I was in GC the other day- the sign said $24.99 so I took it to the checkout. That sale price ended two days prior, so I didn't argue and paid $42.99. I took it immediately to a jam session and just about got my money's worth already, so I'm not complaining. Anyway, I am going nuts trying to find the proper USB cable for this thing. Does anybody in KSS land know the proper nomenclature for the USB cable?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gus Lozada View Post
Per the Quick Start Guide:

If the cable is like the one needed for the LPK 25, you will need a cable which is not only meant for power-charging a device, but also for DATA. A standard mini-USB cable, that is.
Thanks. Very hard to find in the one horse town I live in. I had to borrow one from my IT department.

That being said- does anybody have a clue how to use this thing to it's full potential? I mean, it works fine with the Akai Synthstation app. I understand that the latest rev uses CoreMidi. I thought that this would allow me to play other apps with this keyboard. There is not a single reference to CoreMidi in the documentation. In fact, there is very little documentation ( a quickstart guide and a few paragraphs of help on the app itself).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gus Lozada View Post
Yes, it is CoreMIDI compatible smile.gif
You can open any CoreMidi-compatible app and play it with the SS25.

It is also a USB MIDI Controller for your computer, that's why you need the MINI USB Cable!

SynthStation (software) Quick Start Guide
Thanks again, but....
I have both Alchemy and Animoog loaded on my iTouch. I can't get either one of these to respond to the SS25 keyboard. The quickstart guide that you linked to doesn't mention coreMIDI. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by piano39 View Post
Thanks again, but....
I have both Alchemy and Animoog loaded on my iTouch. I can't get either one of these to respond to the SS25 keyboard. The quickstart guide that you linked to doesn't mention coreMIDI. Any ideas?
Oh Crap... I was talking bull$h1t... Sorry. I have the SS 49 and it is indeed CoreMIDI.
The iPhones are different (given they don't take USB ports like the iPAD with the "Camera Connection Kit").

I apologize. facepalm.gif

Found this:

Unlike the Synthstation49, the smaller 25 key version for the iPhone does not support CoreMIDI, instead relying it

Archived