Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's true that what Apple is doing is essentially no different from anyone else in the tablet or smartphone market. This is an extremely profitable business, and everyone is trying to cut production costs and reduce time to market.

It's a form of brinkmanship, which is an interesting phenomenon in cases like this. If one company outsources to China and gains an advantage from doing it, suddenly EVERYBODY has to do it just to remain competitive.

Aside from low wages, one of the advantages every producer gains from using Foxconn is in their ability to mobilize their workforce in exactly the way that a particular production run requires.

What does set Apple apart, for now, is the recent legal ruling against Samsung and their general "patent troll" stance toward competitors. This *is* a problem, and again it has to do with the fact that patent laws presently on the books don't sufficiently account for things like "rounded corners" as a defensible exclusive design feature.
    Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

I think an Apple Piano would have no black keys, be tuned to Locrian mode, and produce a soothing sinusoidal wave with only a mild attack.

Interestingly, the origins of Apple and Sequential Circuits took place within a few miles of each other and at roughly the same time. Apple does actively support music making with Logic, and they still rely on ProTools users to drive MacBook and Mac Pro sales.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Gear: buncha stuff and a couple bazilion cables</font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by zoink
        View Post

It's true that what Apple is doing is essentially no different from anyone else in the tablet or smartphone market. This is an extremely profitable business, and everyone is trying to cut production costs and reduce time to market.

It's a form of brinkmanship, which is an interesting phenomenon in cases like this. If one company outsources to China and gains an advantage from doing it, suddenly EVERYBODY has to do it just to remain competitive.

Aside from low wages, one of the advantages every producer gains from using Foxconn is in their ability to mobilize their workforce in exactly the way that a particular production run requires.

What does set Apple apart, for now, is the recent legal ruling against Samsung and their general "patent troll" stance toward competitors. This *is* a problem, and again it has to do with the fact that patent laws presently on the books don't sufficiently account for things like "rounded corners" as a defensible exclusive design feature.

Agreed, on all counts.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Vocal Gear:</b> Audix OM3xb, Boss VE-20 | <b>Synth Gear: </b>Muse Receptor V1.0 | <b>Controllers: </b>M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Roland AX7<br><br><br><br></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock
          View Post

Who said anything about Microsoft? You're the one who brought them up.

um... no. The first mention of the word Microsoft was this:

View Post

I'm neither a cheerleader nor a hater of Apple products themselves (some things I like, some I don't), but as a company they are turning into the next Microsoft -- or maybe worse in the end.

What I'm saying is, if one is evil, they are all evil and you should not use computers at all. Singling out Apple is just wrong. Who do you think builds Microsoft's tablets and other things? Foxconn.

And my response was, there's nothing wrong with being Microsoft. We are where we are technologically because of Microsoft. To which the response was, OMG OMG THEY ARE EVIL OMG OMG.

-Mc
          <b>Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. while I'll never buy from AMS again):</b><br><br><blockquote><hr>Footfall wrote:<br><p>What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally &quot;overpacking&quot; this product.</p><br><hr></blockquote><br><font size="1"><i><b>Current Korg Gear:</b> KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2</i></font>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RetroVintageOld
            View Post

It's not as stupid as it sounds. I never would have thought they would have made a phone.

So if Apple made a digital piano/synth, what would it be like? Good or bad.

It would be white... then in many colours...

It would be smaller... then in many smaller sizes...

The keys would be rounded in every way... then it would become a rounded tablet shape...

All controlls would be by a full length touch screen... then the keys would become part of the screen...

It has already happened... See what someone else posted...

PS I want McHale to be their sales rep....
            世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyParent
              View Post

McHale obviously lives in a world where in order to love Apple you must hate Microsoft and vice versa... he probably thinks the cold war is still in full swing.

No, I actually work in the tech industry and have to support both platforms and actually use both platforms as well as all iOS, Android, Windows, etc. devices. I think with all of my years of industry experience, I can talk about either platform. Again, I never brought up Microsoft, I only responded after someone decried them as being evil for doing precisely what Apple is doing yet people call Apple geniuses for doing it. If you'd have read the thread, you'd have seen that discussion transpire.
              <b>Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. while I'll never buy from AMS again):</b><br><br><blockquote><hr>Footfall wrote:<br><p>What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally &quot;overpacking&quot; this product.</p><br><hr></blockquote><br><font size="1"><i><b>Current Korg Gear:</b> KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2</i></font>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyParent
                View Post

We're just asking you to name one electronics company that mass-manufactures in America.

Here, I took the trouble of using a search engine for you:

This is just the music industry: http://www.madeinusa.org/nav.cgi?data/musi

Here's the computer industry; http://www.madeinusa.org/nav.cgi?data/comp

Do search engines not work in your country? Jeeesh...

Comment

Those lists are useless.

But I see they still make typewriters in the US, apparently. Maybe that's something you can use since all computers are made in Asia.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="verdana"><a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze" target="_blank">http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze</a></font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by McHale
                    View Post

um... no. The first mention of the word Microsoft was this:

And my response was, there's nothing wrong with being Microsoft. We are where we are technologically because of Microsoft. To which the response was, OMG OMG THEY ARE EVIL OMG OMG.

-Mc

That last phrase was something I posted AFTER you brought Microsoft into the conversation.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="verdana"><a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze" target="_blank">http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze</a></font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock
                      View Post

That last phrase was something I posted AFTER you brought Microsoft into the conversation.

Actually, no. The quote wasn't from you.

Did you read any of this thread? Why do I have to keep pointing out things that are just a few posts up?

Here you go CR:

View Post

You have to separate what Microsoft is/was as a company from what Bill Gates is doing now, post Microsoft, to really see them in realistic perspective -- much as you'd separate Andrew Carnegie the ruthless robber baron (even complicit in murder -- see Homestead Strike, 1892) from the philanthropist of later life.

Microsoft engaged in anti-competitive business practices, and got away with it for a longer period, than any other technology company I can think of. They basically forced everyone else out of the PC OS market by making hardware manufacturers license Windows for EVERY machine they sold, making it cost prohibitive for hardware producers to offer any other alternatives. Any other good idea that Microsoft couldn't copy (poorly) and get away with they simply bought -- going back to DOS itself, FrontPage, WebTV, Hotmail, Internet Explorer, Visio, the list goes on. In many cases they'd buy an idea just so they could bundle it with their other offerings and wipe out the competition. Hell, they even worked WITH the Chinese government to promote internet censorship in China.

I could go on: their oppressive business software licensing practices; the things they did to try and corner the browser market with Internet Exploder (sic); etc.

It's well known that Microsoft in MANY ways abused what amounted to a monopoly in the PC operating system market -- and they got away with it because it took years for the legislative process to come up with laws that really addressed or understood the implications of what they were doing.

I've had this conversation with people who finally, in the face of facts, brought out what they thought was their trump card in Microsoft's defense: "Well that's what you have to do to stay on top in business."

Maybe. But I wish more people (especially corporate types) would stop and think about the kind of world they're creating when they do this.

Comment

Dude, look at post #42. That's the phrase you quoted last in post #49. It was from me. Maybe you meant to quote something else, but that was from me. And it was from AFTER my question.

Plus you brought up Microsoft in your response to MY post, and my post did not have anything to do with Microsoft at all. I thought we were discussing Apple.

Also, a list of people that build PCs from parts made by Foxconn in China? That's the mass-produced "Made in USA" computers you say exist?

This thread might as well be closed, as it's not worth losing friends over this ridiculous argument.

Comment

I wanna hear more about the Apple piano.

A magnesium-case with a Gorilla glass top. With rounded corners, of course. "Siri, play Chopin."
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right">Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.</div></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by McHale
                            View Post

Here, I took the trouble of using a search engine for you:

Here's the computer industry; http://www.madeinusa.org/nav.cgi?data/comp

Do search engines not work in your country? Jeeesh...

LOL. Did you even look at those lists dude? In 6 pages I don't think I ran across a single company that mass-manufactures anything.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Vocal Gear:</b> Audix OM3xb, Boss VE-20 | <b>Synth Gear: </b>Muse Receptor V1.0 | <b>Controllers: </b>M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Roland AX7<br><br><br><br></div>

Comment

I saw ONE. Carvin. I wouldn't exactly rate Carvin as a high-tech company on par with, say, Korg.

That list is pretty much hopelessly useless. "Ooooh I recorded a song in 'Murica! Therefore, it's Made in America, put it on the list!"
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="right">Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.</div></div>

Comment

I said it earlier, these lists are useless.

I never thought of McHale as a troll with no respect for the peers he's talked to online for years, but I guess it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy
                                View Post

I saw ONE. Carvin. I wouldn't exactly rate Carvin as a high-tech company on par with, say, Korg.

That list is pretty much hopelessly useless. "Ooooh I recorded a song in 'Murica! Therefore, it's Made in America, put it on the list!"

Carvin sells a lot of stuff that is made in China. Tons of accessories, acoustic guitars, microphones, etc etc... EVIL

Comment

Working...
                                X