Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking Recommendations on Rack Multi-effects Unit

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's people who like the Boss guitar processors... but their sound is just so 80s... at least to me.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Hurray! The forums actually loaded for me today! /cheer

Quote Originally Posted by The Audacity Works
      View Post

The Vox, Boss, and Digitech boxes weren't in the same league as POD HD, at least to our ears...<snip>

Anyway, I'm starting to feel this way as well. I have listened to several demos of everything suggested in this thread, pretty much, and I think the POD HD sounds better to my ears as well (of course some of the demos, especially the VOX ones, were really bad quality, but luckily the POD HD demos were mostly very good). I think I have made my decision, and the winner at this point is indeed the POD.
      A dead astronaut in space...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock
        View Post

There's people who like the Boss guitar processors... but their sound is just so 80s... at least to me.

The boss pedals and effects just don't seem to be in the same ballpark as many of the other big name stomps. They just sound cheap to me. But again, this is all subjective. What sounds good to me may not sound good to the next person.

Comment

I'm not a guitarist (or even a real musician for that matter) but a few years back I bought a Digitech RP250 for my guitarist buddies so they could jam around in my home studio with me. Much easier to control volume and inject directly in the mix than lugging their amps. All three of them seemed very impressed with unit and one actually ended up buying it from me he loved it so much. Although at first listen it's not all that great sounding. You really have to get in there and pretty much reprogram all the presets with distortion, which is very easy using the nice software editor. Once you ease off the distortion a bit we all agreed it sounded quite warm and natural.

I thought it was a great product and if I ever buy another guitar multi-effects unit, I'll definitely be looking hard at what Digitech has to offer.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by plaid_emu
            View Post

I'm not a guitarist (or even a real musician for that matter) but a few years back I bought a Digitech RP250 for my guitarist buddies so they could jam around in my home studio with me. Much easier to control volume and inject directly in the mix than lugging their amps. All three of them seemed very impressed with unit and one actually ended up buying it from me he loved it so much. Although at first listen it's not all that great sounding. You really have to get in there and pretty much reprogram all the presets with distortion, which is very easy using the nice software editor. Once you ease off the distortion a bit we all agreed it sounded quite warm and natural.

I thought it was a great product and if I ever buy another guitar multi-effects unit, I'll definitely be looking hard at what Digitech has to offer.

Have you heard anything other than Digitech stuff? Digitech wasn't even on my radar.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by selfinflikted
              View Post

Hurray! The forums actually loaded for me today! /cheer

Anyway, I'm starting to feel this way as well. I have listened to several demos of everything suggested in this thread, pretty much, and I think the POD HD sounds better to my ears as well (of course some of the demos, especially the VOX ones, were really bad quality, but luckily the POD HD demos were mostly very good). I think I have made my decision, and the winner at this point is indeed the POD.

Yeah but now you're going up in the price range and you might as well get a real tube amp in the used market

Anyway, I'm sure the POD HD will be fine.

Comment

View Post

Yeah but now you're going up in the price range and you might as well get a real tube amp in the used market

I know, right? It's just that... the POD HD can do SO much and it's so cheap!

As an aside, Christian, there's a lady selling an Epiphone Thunderbird IV bass guitar on the office-wide "ebay" thing where my significant other works. She is asking $280 (which is ridiculous, considering brand new ones are only $10 more)... do you think an offer of $200.00 is a fair offer? I have always wanted a thunderbird body style, and as it turns out, I do particularly like the Epiphone bass tones (my 5 string is an epiphone).

Comment

Offer 150. Seriously. If it sells new for 289, that's the max you should pay for it.

Then after she says no, wait a couple of weeks or a month, and offer 150 again. She will probably take it, because she will remember you're the only one that even made an offer - everybody else got scared away by her high asking price.

How do you think I bought an SH-201 for 200 dollars and an Ibanez RGT42 neck-through guitar for 160?

Comment

View Post

Offer 150. Seriously. If it sells new for 289, that's the max you should pay for it.

Well, only reason I asked about $200 is because it is mint. I've seen pics and all, BUT it's actually her husband/boyfriend/whatever that's selling it. She's just the middle lady. But, I shall take your advice. (small Orange practice amp and soft-shell case included, I forgot to mention)

View Post

How do you think I bought an SH-201 for 200 dollars and an Ibanez RGT42 neck-through guitar for 160?

Cuz yer a BEAST.

Comment

Well don't forget to print out an ad saying how much it sells for new. If it's as mint as you're saying you might be good offering 200.

Comment

View Post

Well don't forget to print out an ad saying how much it sells for new. If it's as mint as you're saying you might be good offering 200.

Yea, maybe (and, I did email her a link to Sweetwater.com showing the retail price new). It's just that this has come up at a time when I'm supposed to be buying other gears, least of all a bass guitar (how many do I have now? TOO many)... I think it's just been so long since I got something new, that I'm kinda jonesing for a fix. Last thing I bought, I think, was that SH-201 you talked me into. I'm pretty sure that was just before xmas last year.

Comment

Well if you have too many basses and you like this one better than something you got, buy it and sell one That's what I'm doing to avoid bloating of the studio - if I buy something, I have to sell something similar, unless it's something I don't have. Now I bought an Alesis Fusion, so that means the Roland A-90 will have to go, as soon as I have it all checked by a shop. I already changed the battery and did a system reset on it so it will be ready to go soon...

There are exceptions, of course. My 20 dollar DW-8000 came in without sending anything out

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by selfinflikted
                            View Post

Yea, maybe (and, I did email her a link to Sweetwater.com showing the retail price new). It's just that this has come up at a time when I'm supposed to be buying other gears, least of all a bass guitar (how many do I have now? TOO many)... I think it's just been so long since I got something new, that I'm kinda jonesing for a fix. Last thing I bought, I think, was that SH-201 you talked me into. I'm pretty sure that was just before xmas last year.

Don't forget that Black Friday is right around the corner, good for an extra 15%.
                            "I remember when dubstep was just called "LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth" in the '60s" - Alan Parsons

Kurzweil PC3♦Alesis Fusion 6HD♦Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)♦Alesis QS7.1 (2)♦Alesis QSR♦ Alesis S4+♦Alesis DMPRO♦Evolution MK-461C♦Rhodes Mark II Stage 73♦Roland JX-8P♦Kawai K1 & K1m♦

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic
                              View Post

Don't forget that Black Friday is right around the corner, good for an extra 15%.

This is true. I will probably get the POD then. I'm passing on the bass guitar, though - the chick emailed me back and said her husband will take no less than $225. Silly people.

Comment

I have one multi-effects unit - Roland VG-99. Rumors are that it's actually two Boss GT-Pros stuffed into one box, with the synthesis stuff, guitar modeling, etc. on top. The factory presets are terrible, though, so some tweaking has to be done to get usable sounds. My biggest concern with any multi-effects device is how quickly I can get to a parameter to tweak something - fortunately, the VG-99's UI lets me get around fairly quickly. This part of my post is in answer to "what do you guys use?" though, rather than a recommendation, because it's only worth it if you can find one cheap, or if you plan to install a GK pickup on your guitar.

For my Voyager, I'm researching options for a delay/reverb rather than multi-effects (this is another "what are you guys using/potentially using" type response). I'm leaning towards the Strymon El Capistan, which is a virtual tape delay + spring reverb pedal.

Comment

Working...
                                X