Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Taking Recommendations on Rack Multi-effects Unit

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't bum yourself out

There's plenty of cheap, good guitar gear out there.

Just last Friday I saw an all-tube 5-watt VOX amp at Guitar Center for 199 dollars. I'd bet if you stick a pedal in front of it you'd get a fantastic recorded sound.

Also, I was forgetting about something. This little guy. It's a fantastic digital amp that has quite a few good tones that sound very non-digital. Some (like the Rectifier model) do have a digital sheen, but there's some that are incredibly good. The only downside is that to get the best out of it you need to edit it from a computer - the actual amp doesn't have all models and effects that this is capable of. Still, as a practice and recording amp, it's quite an awesome new tool. If I didn't already have good tube amps, I'd definitely go for one of those little guys.

By the way, I don't know if my guitar sound was "leaps and bounds" ahead of yours - it was just different. Tube amps, mic'd up, sent to a cheap finicky tube preamp I no longer have (dbx 586), to analog tape. Analog tape does something to guitars, drums and vocals that is not easily explainable other than saying it's like magical pixy dust or something

My next album which I'm finishing writing will have tube amps and microphones again, but this time will go through Steinberg/Yamaha preamps in my interface (which are stupposed to be REALLY good and the reason I got the interface) to a DAW. I'm *hoping* I can improve my guitar sound quite a bit with these preamps but you never know. So far my recording tests don't sound that great so I have a ton of work to do.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="verdana"><a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze" target="_blank">http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze</a></font></div>

Comment

Hm. Looks like the Yamaha THR-10 is rated slightly higher than the Vox pedalboard. If given the choice of ONLY one of the two.. which would you choose?

Anyone else reading along feel free to chime in, too!
      <div class="signaturecontainer">A dead astronaut in space...</div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by selfinflikted
        View Post

Hm. Looks like the Yamaha THR-10 is rated slightly higher than the Vox pedalboard. If given the choice of ONLY one of the two.. which would you choose?

Anyone else reading along feel free to chime in, too!

Which Vox pedalboard are you looking at by the way? I'd only look at the newer EX model which I see going for 299 which is the same price as the THR. There's also the THR5 which is 199 and I think only misses a couple features but the basic sound is all there, especially for recording.

I would try to see if I can play both quite a bit before deciding which one I'd go for... they're both great, hard choice

As you know, I got a local Fender Super 60 just a few months ago for 200 bucks. They still go for that or even less on Ebay. My choice would always be to get the real tube amp if I can. Those Fenders are considered "flawed" by Fender purists because they're horrible to modify and have some design shortcomings like sharing EQ between channels, and having a clean channel that is not as loud as the distorted channel, and a cheap stock speaker. The reverb doesn't drown your sound completely like other Fenders do. But the sound is there in spades, even with the stock speaker. You haven't lived until you cranked a Fender tube amp playing a Fender guitar, or cranked a Marshall amp playing a real Gibson.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="verdana"><a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze" target="_blank">http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze</a></font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock
          View Post

Which Vox pedalboard are you looking at by the way? I'd only look at the newer EX model

Yes, the EX.

View Post

which I see going for 299 which is the same price as the THR.

Exactly, which makes the decision even tougher... Also, keep in mind I'm really looking for a multi-effects unit, but all this talk about PODs and guitars and such really gives me GAS (YES! I finally get to use this acronym!).

View Post

I would try to see if I can play both quite a bit before deciding which one I'd go for... they're both great, hard choice

ALSO keep in mind the chances of me getting to play either of these in person before purchasing are slim to none.

View Post

You haven't lived until you cranked a Fender tube amp playing a Fender guitar, or cranked a Marshall amp playing a real Gibson.

I'll take the Marshall amp + Gibson over the Fender stuff anyday! And, I have gotten to play both of these extensively, actually. I've just moved so far from the guitar as my "main" instrument that guitars and amps just don't have the same magic for me now as they did in the past. I just want something that doesn't sound like a "fake" or "digital" guitar when I'm recording, and if it's got passable to great(!) effects that come with, even better!

Comment

View Post

Don't bum yourself out

There's plenty of cheap, good guitar gear out there.

Just last Friday I saw an all-tube 5-watt VOX amp at Guitar Center for 199 dollars. I'd bet if you stick a pedal in front of it you'd get a fantastic recorded sound.

Also, I was forgetting about something. This little guy. It's a fantastic digital amp that has quite a few good tones that sound very non-digital. Some (like the Rectifier model) do have a digital sheen, but there's some that are incredibly good. The only downside is that to get the best out of it you need to edit it from a computer - the actual amp doesn't have all models and effects that this is capable of. Still, as a practice and recording amp, it's quite an awesome new tool. If I didn't already have good tube amps, I'd definitely go for one of those little guys.

By the way, I don't know if my guitar sound was "leaps and bounds" ahead of yours - it was just different. Tube amps, mic'd up, sent to a cheap finicky tube preamp I no longer have (dbx 586), to analog tape. Analog tape does something to guitars, drums and vocals that is not easily explainable other than saying it's like magical pixy dust or something

My next album which I'm finishing writing will have tube amps and microphones again, but this time will go through Steinberg/Yamaha preamps in my interface (which are stupposed to be REALLY good and the reason I got the interface) to a DAW. I'm *hoping* I can improve my guitar sound quite a bit with these preamps but you never know. So far my recording tests don't sound that great so I have a ton of work to do.

I just bought a 3 watt, battery powered VOX amp for mobile use of my synths. It has a separate line in/clean channel and sounds great. Pretty loud for a measly 3 watts, too.
            Gear: Alchemy - Yamaha Mox6 - Roland Gaia - Plugiator - GSI Burn

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by selfinflikted
              View Post

ALSO keep in mind the chances of me getting to play either of these in person before purchasing are slim to none.

Then you'll have to listen to tons of demos. I'm afraid to make a suggestion because the character of the Vox and the Yamaha is quite different. I guess if I were to buy only one it would be the Vox because it's more knobby and has the modulation pedal and just has more tweaking options. But since I already have tube amps and pedals (including two flavors of wah), I think I might end up getting me the Yamaha THR5 just for an extra recording option. The Yamaha sound is right up my alley, it just *rocks* in all the right places. But the Vox also sounds good and is more versatile and has a more refined sound.

See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjUVQbHLnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9heeMy22lco

Remember also that Vox has a combo version that has all the sound and functionality of the Tonelab EX pedal (minus the expression pedal of course) in the form of the VT20+ combo which costs 170 dollars, which is significantly less.

Ok so both will still sound digital to an extent, but not so much that they'll be unplayable. I think the Vox has a more Fender and Vox (duh) feel while the Yamaha does the hot-rodded Marshall thing best.

Comment

View Post

Then you'll have to listen to tons of demos. I'm afraid to make a suggestion because the character of the Vox and the Yamaha is quite different. I guess if I were to buy only one it would be the Vox because it's more knobby and has the modulation pedal and just has more tweaking options. But since I already have tube amps and pedals (including two flavors of wah), I think I might end up getting me the Yamaha THR5 just for an extra recording option. The Yamaha sound is right up my alley, it just *rocks* in all the right places. But the Vox also sounds good and is more versatile and has a more refined sound.

Remember also that Vox has a combo version that has all the sound and functionality of the Tonelab EX pedal (minus the expression pedal of course) in the form of the VT20+ combo which costs 170 dollars, which is significantly less.

Ok so both will still sound digital to an extent, but not so much that they'll be unplayable. I think the Vox has a more Fender and Vox (duh) feel while the Yamaha does the hot-rodded Marshall thing best.

Wow, CR, you aren't making this decision any easier! :P Now I'm even more uncertain. It's kinda funny though, at the start of this thread I was just looking for a simple yet nice-sounding multi-effects rack. Now I feel like I'm more interested in nailing a nice guitar sound with some effects options.

I will listen to tons of demos, as suggested. It's really the only thing I can base my decision on since playing with the gear firsthand is almost completely out of the question unless one of the boutiques here happens to have something in stock. The ONLY other alternative here is the local Guitar Center whose keys section is SORELY lacking...but they do have a robust guitar section, so I suppose it's possible that they may have one of these to try out. I'll just have to suck it up and go to GC at some point, even though it pains me to even entertain the notion. Man, I really hate that place. The staff and sales people are completely clueless about everything (yea, it's a local thing I'm sure).

Comment

No, GCs have been consistently bad wherever I've been... Sam Ash is slightly better though. I don't know if you have on near you. Even their keyboard section is MUCH better.

I'll tell you one thing, it's kind of hard to find actual good demos of the Vox. I don't know why. Yamaha seems to put a lot more effort into getting decent demos of their stuff out there. That's why I put this demo with the annoying kid in the background - it's actually got a good guitar player and a good guitar and good sounds. It does show a lot of what the Vox is capable of. A lot of demos don't.

Comment

Well, I'm chomping at the bits to check em out, and I will as soon as I hit the door at home.

Comment

Well, the sound quality in the second vid demo'ing the VOX is poop. Can't tell anything from that, really. The first vid was good, though, and the Yammy actually does sound like a tube amp. I hate the guy only demo'd 'old school' stuff on it though, would love to hear something more contemporary. In fact, I shall go hunt more vids now.

Comment

Listening with headphones, that Vox demo (especially the 2nd part) was enough for me to tell the quality of the sound, but I agree it's not the perfect demo at all. Like I said it's hard to find a good demo like the one you hear at the Sweetwater site.

Comment

Yea, it actually is hard to find a good one for the VOX. I'm REALLY liking the POD HD demo I'm listening to. lol

The Sonicstate.com one is really good, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fDMB...eature=related

ETA: I may have to get this. Srsly.

Comment

FWIW, a few friends and I did a shootout of modelers last year. The AxeFX was amazing, but $$$ and without the editor, really slow to program. The Digi Eleven Rack sounded great

Comment

Line 6 isn't the leading guitar amp seller for nothing. If you like their stuff you can't go wrong

Comment

You may also consider the Boss GT8 or 10. Makes a nice floor unit for performance.
                                SPAM - Korg Poly-800 w/ Moog Slayer mod $250 shipped CONUS
                                Spunkytoofers Rabbit Hole (circuitbent PS-2) $300 shipped CONUS
                                E-Mu Ultraproteus, power cord, good shape (minor rack wear) $225 + shipping
                                Roland S-10 sampler, power cord, manual, and disks, great shape $100 + shipping (I just don't have room for it)

Comment

Working...
                                X