X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock
    View Post

It depends on your computer Nowadays, I'd say most people use hardware for its flavor, unless you have a really old computer. Freezing tracks usually saves you enough processing.

Not a particularly old computer, it's a 3gHz dual with 4gb ram plus a crappy EMU soundcard. I've never run into any processing issues though, even with lots and lots of tracks all running various software effects. Keep in mind it's just a project studio that I use to write and record stuff just for my own pleasure, so none of the components have to be top of the line, or anywhere close really. I'm just getting tired of all my recordings sounding like they were recorded in a culvert somewhere. Hell, it could just be the crappy soundcard, I dunno. But I do know I want something new, and I don't have a hardware multi-effects processor except for my guitar POD. So, I want one
    A dead astronaut in space...

Comment

Ed. Double Post

Also, this website has MAJOR issues

Comment

It is. It's a pain to post here, I can see while lots of people are leaving.

Anywy. I got me a fantastic sounding Steinberg MR816x 8 in/8 out interface for 390 dollars on Ebay. Great converters, lovely preamps... and it also has a very nice Yamaha reverb built-in. Just saying
        http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Fancy! I do like Steinberg (always a Cubase fan, never ProTools). Really, I should be concentrating on getting a new interface, but I REALLY like PCI interfaces rather than something outboard. What kind is the one you just bought? USB? Firewire? INTERNAL?!

Comment

It was firewire.

PCI interfaces are a dying breed...

Comment

Firewire is also a dying breed, it seems. There's no such thing as "future-proof".

In the meantime, I shall firewire until it dies.
              Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Firewire is also a dying breed, it seems. There's no such thing as "future-proof".

Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

View Post

It was firewire.

PCI interfaces are a dying breed...

I know. I hate that

Comment

After PCI, Firewire is the next best thing with the lowest latency.

I expect thunderbolt interfaces or interfaces with thunderbolt option like the UA Apollo to become more and more common. It's the firewire substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy
                    View Post

Hear, hear!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy
                      View Post

And I shall PCI Express until IT dies! <eViLGRiN>

Comment

I owned both the MX200 and MX400. They're both great sounding units for the money. I don't think they sounded metallic at all to my ears. Seem pretty well built. My biggest gripe was the lack of diversity in the algorithms. If you're only looking for the standards they're just fine. I just wanted something that could do some harmonizing/vocal distortions/etc.

Now, if you want a decent and versatile value in an effects rack, check out the Behringer FX2000 (previously the DSP-2024P). Sure the verbs aren't as nice as the Lexicon or Eventide, but there's some impressive modulation/distortion/harmonizing effects in that unit.

Maybe you need an MX200 and an FX2000 combo to round things out. I used that setup for a few years and had lots of fun with them.

Comment

Hey thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning heavily towards the MX200 right now. And you're hunch is right - I'm just looking for the basics.

Comment

View Post

After PCI, Firewire is the next best thing with the lowest latency.

I expect thunderbolt interfaces or interfaces with thunderbolt option like the UA Apollo to become more and more common. It's the firewire substitute.

Hear, hear!

I have a Mackie Onyx 1640 w/ firewire option and use a Thunderbolt to Firewire cable to connect it to my iMac.
                            Venn Diagram - Artist WebsiteMachinedrum, Monomachine, Analog Four, Octatrack, NordModular, Moog SubPhatty, Novation Nova, Korg MS20 Mini, Maschine, Tassman, Aalto, Absynth, Uhe's ACE & AudulusContact

Comment

For live, I've been using an Alesis Quadraverb GT guitar processor for vocals for years now. I like it because it has an analog preamp. I just dump all the distortion, overdrive, etc. and it sounds pretty good.
                              "I remember when dubstep was just called "LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth" in the '60s" - Alan Parsons

Kurzweil PC3♦Alesis Fusion 6HD♦Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)♦Alesis QS7.1 (2)♦Alesis QSR♦ Alesis S4+♦Alesis DMPRO♦Evolution MK-461C♦Rhodes Mark II Stage 73♦Roland JX-8P♦Kawai K1 & K1m♦

Comment

Do they still make those?

Comment

Working...
                                X