Selling gear off to purchase more? Doesn't add up - Moog!!!

Pilotwings

• Members

The last couple weeks I've done something I thought I'd never do (again). That is to sell off gear I don't use to buy more stuff. Sounds logical but on paper this one definitely does NOT add up, but I couldn't be happier.

This is what I've sold:
E-mu E5000 Ultra
E-mu E4 Platinum
E-mu Morpheus
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha TX-816
Mackie LM-3204 mixer

This is what I bought:
Speck X.Sum mixer
Moog Voyager RME

Polyphony - sold off a total of 358 notes/voices for 1!?! It might help explain why I did it a bit by the gear I'm using now. I've got sampling/playback covered with an Akai MPC4000 and Kurzweil 2661, and FM covered with a Yamaha FS1R. The Voyager RME is something I've wanted for a long time now. About twenty years ago I sold my Minimoog which I had rackmounted by Studio Electronics and have missed it ever since. Although the RME is not the exact same, the Moog sound is back in my setup and a part of me feels whole again!

• Members

Ive done it plenty of times before. Sometimes you must bring balance to your universe. Sometimes that means selling off all your gear.

The good thing is that at some point you realize you really CAN live without some things... allowing you to trim the fat and work more efficiently. Or it could just be a deep seeded disturbing truth hidden in your psyche in which the pleasure you get isnt from gear itself, but from the act of acquisition. Or the cat of acquisition. Or both.

• Members

I actually did quite well 'cause all the stuff that I sold, I'd bought used. In fact, I made money on a few items. The only one I might miss is the E4. I contemplate whether to go (at least partly) software, but I keep buying hardware. Next I might get the Intergra-7, but I'll have to hear it first. Too bad it's not 256 notes polyphonic like the JP-80. Seems that would have made sense considering it 16 part multi-timbral and layered sounds eat polyphony for breakfast.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

Sounds like you doing the right thing @ moog etc thumb.gif

Thanks. I know from experience that I will not lose money on the RME (though I don't intend to sell it), and virtually every digital synth will depreciate considerably over time. But more than that, it's about what sounds I want to have available to me.

Archived