Korg M50 patches for "current pop" cover bands?

mstreck

• Members

I recently purchased an M50 so we can transition into doing more keyboard-driven pop songs (Katy Perry, Pink, etc.). I'd like to keep the patches that I use sounding as close to the original recordings as possible, but this is my first synth so I have no idea how to make that happen if it's not an existing patch. Is there a site online that provides/sells patches that are used on particular songs? Or is there somewhere that I can learn how to duplicate them from scratch? (
Thanks!

Mike

• Members

I use an M50 quite extensively. The M50 is very capable of reproducing those sounds but I'm not aware of any libraries available to buy the sounds you want. What I usually do is take an already existing sound and modify it to get the sound I want. One HUGE help is the ability to create Combis where you can layer several programs. So for example, if you wanted to do the intro of Van Halen's "Dreams", you would layer a classical guitar and a synth-string patch. Very little else is necessary to have that sound pretty damn close to the original (which is a synth patch and Eddie actually playing a classical guitar).

For Reference:

Once you start picking out what actually MAKES up that sound, you can create them pretty easily.

Hope that helps a little...

-Mc

• Members

I found two tutorials that helped me a lot. Good info for someone like me who's never owned/manipulated a synth before:

http://www.mutantaudio.net/tutorials...rt1/index.html

http://www.mutantaudio.net/tutorials...part_2_ma.html

I could be wrong, but it seems that if you know/recognize the basic waveform it's a matter of tweaking the parameters it until it's right. I 'll find out soon enough - haha!

Archived