Alesis QS8 or Korg SG Pro X

Ispin1200s

• Members

Hi Everyone-

Was hoping someone could give me an opinion on these two older boards. Have the opportunity to purchase either for a pretty good price. I want to learn to play as well as record some music. Anyone have experience with these? Better action, sounds, reliability, flexibility for midi purposes? Thanks for your thoughts. Working on an extreme budget, this is why I am looking at these older units. Thanks again!

• Members

QS8 has plenty sounds, keyboards, organs, strings, woodwinds, pads, etc... and it's a real synthesizer . but the stock pianos are, you know subjective. I find it "metallic" thin.

Korg has fewer sounds, it was marketed as a stage piano, and the pianos sound good.

• Members

I've had a QS8 since it came out. It's my only ROMpler. For the price, the sounds and action are excellent. There's a forum member here who sells an acoustic piano and Rhodes card for the QS. The stock piano sounded great at the time. They're just a bit long in the tooth after 15 years. I never hesitate to recommend The QS to people on a budget or non-keyboard freaks. At the time, it was a revolutionary instrument in its price point. Still works too. If mine broke, I'd replace it with another.

I have no experience with the Korg.

• Members

The Korg SG Pro X was a decent piano for the time.... but only decent. I used one for 4 years as a rack module to my old Roland RD300S (1987 model) circa 1998-2002. The piano on the Korg is not very dynamic and shrill when in the gigging situation. I tended to stick with rhodes sounds and hammond for most gigs... and those were not exactly fantastic either... without a doubt even the cheapest 'P' Series Yamaha piano (or p80/p90/p120 and their brethren) of today would kill off the piano in the Korg.

I know nothing about the QS.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tspit74 View Post
I've had a QS8 since it came out. It's my only ROMpler. For the price, the sounds and action are excellent. There's a forum member here who sells an acoustic piano and Rhodes card for the QS. The stock piano sounded great at the time. They're just a bit long in the tooth after 15 years. I never hesitate to recommend The QS to people on a budget or non-keyboard freaks. At the time, it was a revolutionary instrument in its price point. Still works too. If mine broke, I'd replace it with another.

I have no experience with the Korg.
I totally agree with this post. But I'm kind of biased.

Archived