Anyone have/had a JX-305 Groove Synth?

MikeyParent

• Members

I like the 305. It's basically a 505 with keys and an expanded ROM set. M83 reportedly used one in their music -- which is probably more of a compliment to M83 than the 305. But it also says that you can do a lot with some ingenuity.

The presets are slanted toward various 90s techno and hip hop genres, but it has a JV synth engine and can make some decent sounds if you program it. (Anyone else want to channel droolmaster and put me in my place? lol)

I like the 305 for atmospheric and chill lounge type music, but it'll also do other genres quite well. You can do a LOT to freshen up the drum kits by layering them. In fact, even just as a 64 voice drum machine with keys, the 305 is easily worth the price of admission. The on board arpeggiator is also nice.

As an all-in-one unit, it does suffer from certain limits. But for $250-$300, there's a lot of fun there. If I were considering buying a 305 now, I'd sooner get a Yamaha RS7000 for about $150 more and hook it up to a MIDI controller.

Be sure to check out the LCD display for faults if you buy one.

• Members

always liked them, too. Did not buy one when they were going cheap because I already had a keyboard so I bought an Rm1x which sounded like cack (though the sequencer owns all) and that got replaced by an RS7000. Would rather have a CS6x (but not a 1x or 2x, had one of those, not nearly as good) if you can find one that is.

Though used 305's are cheap, wouldn't mind one now.

Archived