The keyboard with the most Famous or coolest line?

minimoog

• Members

Like OB VH Jump or the Juppiter 8 triller intro

What keyboard has the most famous or coolest lines of all time?

!!! Cast your Votes!!!

2.99 per text message . if are under 18 ask for your parents permission.
out side of the u.s is 4.99 dll. the lucky winner will recive the envy of
HC keyboard forum members (except for Guz lozada)for being so cool.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeyParent View Post
Freeze it there - the branding is all covered up but unless they only used it because it looked cool, def a Jupiter 8.
Journey definitely used a Jupiter 8 on Frontiers.

Quote Originally Posted by selfinflikted View Post
Well, damn. I thought the DX-7 was supposed to be THE sound of the 80's but I think the Jupiter is coming in a very close second.
Well, why not take a song with *both*? (Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F. Jupiter is the main riff, DX7 does the bell and marimba. Moog modular for bass per Wiki.)

Thriller (the album) used all the top notch gear of 1982 they could find, but they seemed to adore the Jupiter as well. Probably the opening was the Jupiter (though who can tell the difference between various poly sawtooth pads?), but a GS post indicates the "pipe organ" was Synclavier and the bass Minimoog.

The DX7 was made in 1983, so obviously it's not the "sound of the 1980s" on any song made before then.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
Jupiter 8. Queen's "I want to break free" solo.

/thread icon_lol.gif
{censored} YES!!! That's hands down my favorite Queen song and I've heard them ALL. Had a friend in high school that was OBSESSED with them.

What a great synth solo.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by koolkat View Post
Minimoog Styx - Fooling Yourself
Intro is ARP Odyssey actually. Concert DVD showed James Young playing it, and a photo from that era shows an Odyssey on JY's side.

1st and 2nd solo are Oberheim SEM not Minimoog. Key to that sound is routing EG to oscillator 2 pitch only - just a minute amount. Very subtle but effective. Minimoog can't do that but when I dialed it up on a SEM it was the exact same sound.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
Intro is ARP Odyssey actually. Concert DVD showed James Young playing it, and a photo from that era shows an Odyssey on JY's side.

1st and 2nd solo are Oberheim SEM not Minimoog. Key to that sound is routing EG to oscillator 2 pitch only - just a minute amount. Very subtle but effective. Minimoog can't do that but when I dialed it up on a SEM it was the exact same sound.
Thanks.

I really only figured it was a Minimoog lead because it's part of the Mox Vintage keys; the brochure that comes with it says that it was a triple oscillator Minimoog lead.

• Members

yer post confuses me.... first line says "LINE" (singular), the next same question says "lineS" plural. Very different.

I always thought the ONE most singularly known synth riff was ELP "Lucky Man" the synthy synth to end all synths, first middle and last example of oldest best known syntheism. But I could be wrong.

Now, if you mean PLURALLY, that means maybe the most uses that are most obvious? In the old days, I guess it was Moog, but then the Juppy and D50 and DX7 kinda took over. I think the mostests useageness fully depends on the era you pick: 80's maybe jupey, 90's I dunno... Dx7 D50?

Jump is well know but I'm thinking Lucky Man for the crown. ?? maybe not

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wwwjd View Post

...I always thought the ONE most singularly known synth riff was ELP "Lucky Man" the synthy synth to end all synths, first middle and last example of oldest best known syntheism. But I could be wrong...

Not wrong by me.

Not too many people cared about or wanted anything 'synth' until Lucky Man. Then all of a sudden, everyone wanted a Moog.

• Members

The synth line hook on "Just What I Needed", by The Cars. Don't know what produced it. Also, their theme sync line on "Let's Go".

The string synth of "Sweet Dreams" by Eurythmics

The break/synth solo in "Blinded Me With Science", by Thomas Dolby

"Situation" - Yaz

"Never Been Any Reason" - Head East

"While You See a Chance" - Steve Winwood (Sequential Circuits Prophet 5?)

Some honorable mentions:

"Doctor, Doctor" - Thompson Twins
"Call Me" - Go West
Synth Bass of "You Are In My System" - Robert Palmer and The System and the Synth Bass of "Don't Disturb This Groove", by The System

Archived