Whats so Special about the Roland V-synth?

minimoog

• Members

I think rack has d50 card included? I forgot. I had the keyboard version.
Examplary user interface, incredible keybed, import own samples. I always used the dual dbeam, bloody cool
So very easy to program patches. The sound has somekind fidelity I cant explain. Vast i/o at the back.
I cant believe they go under $1k used

• Members

The original V-Synth miss was a huge regret for me. Not even the GT held the emotional connection, that is why I sold it in a financial pinch. I would not have done that with the original. It was Roland's D-50 For the modern age, but so much more. Many of the sounds on the 1.5 version, especially the moog patch were wonderful. It could be a D-50 if you so wanted, even reducing the bit rate to emulate a perfect copy. With the PG-1000 you could essentially have a D-50 and then transfer it back to a V at any time. The original is by far my favorite V-Synth and one of Roland's top 5 of all times. If you love Roland it is the ultimate collectors piece along with the D-50 and Jupiter 8.

• Members

I have never wanted a synth as much as I wanted V-Synth when it was unveiled.

The demo, that used this patch(I guess):
http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20V...0LetMePray.mp3
blew my mind, and I have been searching that demo all over the place, but it seems to have disappeared.

The control of the time and pitch is still an intriguing feature, and I think there still isn't hardware alternative for VariPhrase.

I still want V-Synth badly.

And "let me pray" that Roland makes one more V-Synth. Perhaps embedded in their next workstation and conventional sampler(next to VariPhrase of course, which I'm more interested of). Perhaps they could also open up its structures for user to create their own patches in modular fashion.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by minimoog View Post
In this case i think Fasting would get better results in this case
smile.gif ....
Or hunger strike! All V-Synth fans, lets go on hunger strike until Roland releases a new V-Synth!!!
After that I will be fasting for so long, that I can afford one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Casio Man View Post

blew my mind, and I have been searching that demo all over the place, but it seems to have disappeared.

The control of the time and pitch is still an intriguing feature, and I think there still isn't hardware alternative for VariPhrase.

And "let me pray" that Roland makes one more V-Synth. Perhaps embedded in their next workstation and conventional sampler(next to VariPhrase of course, which I'm more interested of). Perhaps they could also open up its structures for user to create their own patches in modular fashion.
If you mean the Arabic Chant type demo, that was very good but almost impossible to find as you say..

• Members

V-Synth...

Love the idea and looks.. Not impressed with the direction they took (reduced interface and real sounds).. Not strong enough soundwise to press the button on one for the cost...

This was a better package for me:

Still look forward to Roland doing another synth... This form factor and lots of controls or a bigger synth styled like the V-Synth but more controls would be nice...

VP-770.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Casio Man View Post

Are you talking about the track or the patch?

I have the Let Me Pray patch - which is fantastic smile.gif Happy to let folks have it if they would like - only requirement is to have a V-Synth however!

• Members

What's so special about the V-Synth for me is that it is a tweaker's synth and offers incredible versatility for sound design, which is perfect for the kind of ambient soundscapes I use it for. I also use it as a controller midi'd to my Korg M3 module, which is an awesome combination.

synths22.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MuzikB View Post
Wow. I hated it as was glad to get rid of it.

It sounded stale to me compared to the JP-8000, MS-2000, and Juno-106. The sampler wasn't as good as Kontakt either. Nothing about it captured me like the JV-1080 or the MC-909.
WOW! Really? I have owned all of those synths except the MC-909. But I would never compare it to any of them if for no other reason the V-synth wasnt intended to be ANYTHING like those other units in either sound or function. I really dig its uniqueness. I respect your opinion as to what you like and what you don't. IMO, the JP8000 was a little eclipsed by the 8080, which I have and I like it well enough but it doesnt blow me away, The MS-2000 was just ok for me and I dumped it fast. I never liked the Juno-106 and ironically I have had 3 of them, the sound was to "low-rent" for me. The JV-1080 was convenient but when the XV-series came out I quickly got rid of it as the fidelity of the 3080 and the 5080 ( which I have 3 fully loaded with SRX boards) is vastly superior.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mooginator View Post
WOW! Really? I have owned all of those synths except the MC-909. But I would never compare it to any of them if for no other reason the V-synth wasnt intended to be ANYTHING like those other units in either sound or function. I really dig its uniqueness. I respect your opinion as to what you like and what you don't. IMO, the JP8000 was a little eclipsed by the 8080, which I have and I like it well enough but it doesnt blow me away, The MS-2000 was just ok for me and I dumped it fast. I never liked the Juno-106 and ironically I have had 3 of them, the sound was to "low-rent" for me. The JV-1080 was convenient but when the XV-series came out I quickly got rid of it as the fidelity of the 3080 and the 5080 ( which I have 3 fully loaded with SRX boards) is vastly superior.
Different strikes for different folks.

Nobody for whom I'm professionally acquainted with wants one, has one, or even desires one. Their JV-1080's are just now being replaced with Integra-7's and the JP-8000's, MS-2000's, and Juno-106's are still all over commercial tracks.

REALLY!

I put the hype it gets up there with calling Pro Tools the "Industry Standard" because nobody within the "industry" I'm in seems to use it and it never ranks within the top 5 of any populous poll.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MuzikB View Post
I put the hype it gets up there with calling Pro Tools the "Industry Standard" because nobody within the "industry" I'm in seems to use it and it never ranks within the top 5 of any populous poll.
Depends on your industry, perhaps.

In broadcasting and film, Pro Tools really does have some broad acceptance. Since we're speaking anecdotally, everyone I'm professionally acquainted with is familiar with PT. (Though my employer runs Adobe's Creative Suite, for whatever reason.)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Klaus View Post
Depends on your industry, perhaps.

In broadcasting and film, Pro Tools really does have some broad acceptance. Since we're speaking anecdotally, everyone I'm professionally acquainted with is familiar with PT. (Though my employer runs Adobe's Creative Suite, for whatever reason.)
That was part of the point I was trying to make. That's why I put industry in quotes. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Karma1 View Post
What's so special about the V-Synth for me is that it is a tweaker's synth and offers incredible versatility for sound design, which is perfect for the kind of ambient soundscapes I use it for. I also use it as a controller midi'd to my Korg M3 module, which is an awesome combination.

synths22.jpg

wave station, kawai and v synth that's some good times you have there

Archived