Best main 88 weighted keyboard for piano and orchestral sample plug-ins?

WorldFx

• Members

I'm looking for the top 88 key keyboard for primarily sampled computer ac/ep pianos (but if the on-board piano is good that is a bonus and I will probably use it) and composing with orchestral sample library plug-ins. Therefore the action has to be decent and there needs to be enough midi functionality on the board that can ease the process of making music with samples. The action must not be too heavy, stiff or mushy as I prefer an action on the fast side. Aftertouch and modulation could be handy if I'm using orchestral samples, perhaps layering/splitting as well.

The options I have tried so far are:

Nord Stage 2 - v. expensive, decent light action, but not fantastic amount of midi control and I am not sure I need the organ and synth functions. Piano sounds are supposed to be some of the best out there.

Nord Piano -- as above but lacks any real midi control.

Yamaha - CP5 -- V. nice action but appear to lack enough midi control.

Motif XF 88 / s90xs- action appeared a little mush or soft, good midi control.

Kronos 88- action appears decent as does midi functionality, but could be on the stiff side? Piano sounds are some of the best.

Kurz SP/PC series -- I think the action was decent but would have to try again to be sure.

Roland fantom g -- decent action but do not want a roland workstation from this era.

Have not tried:

Roland stage pianos, but people have complained of the short throw/hard landing of the keys.

Doepher midi controllers but I hear they have a decent action.

Kawai MP-6/8 -- heard they have average piano sound but decent action.

Casio, Maudio, Akai, etc..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by WorldFx View Post
Kurz SP/PC series -- I think the action was decent but would have to try again to be sure.
SP and PC actions are quite different from each other. But it sounds like the PC would be the better model for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldFx View Post
Roland stage pianos, but people have complained of the short throw/hard landing of the keys.
There are people who love the RD700NX keybed, and people who don't. You can as easily find people who complain about Nord actions, Kronos actions, whatever. So it's definitely worth trying it for yourself.

Archived