Does Korg Krome 61 have a Users Bank or Favorites Bank?

gmdband

• Members

I am considering purchasing a Korg Krome and was impressed with the sounds. However, one thing I have NOT been impressed with in some Korg synths is that some of them were designed WITHOUT a User Bank or Favorites bank. For a pro performer, the first thing you do is put your favorite patches (i.e. strings, piano, organ, orchestral, lead, etc.) in a User Bank of up to 20 patches so you can access them in ONE keystroke during live performance. You memorize those key numbers and often transfer that system to new synths you get as well. I still remember purchasing a TR61 which forever sat in the closet because it was so useless on live gigs.

Some of these synth designers....do they actually play real pro gigs? If a keyboard is not effective (user friendly) in the field (i.e. on a live stage) it is almost worthless. It seems inconceivable that any synth designer could be so out of touch with real live performance world so as not to include a User or Favorites Bank.

Anyway, can the Krome be set up with a User Bank or Favorites Bank?

• Members

All presets in Korg workstations are overwriteable, so you can order them however you want for the gig.

AFAIK, Krome doesn't have a concept of favorites. Kronos has a Set List mode that is created exactly for live performances and it's extremely flexible (I'd say it's the best implementation of gig-worthy patch list ever, in fact).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gmdband View Post
one thing I have NOT been impressed with in some Korg synths is that some of them were designed WITHOUT a User Bank or Favorites bank. For a pro performer, the first thing you do is put your favorite patches (i.e. strings, piano, organ, orchestral, lead, etc.) in a User Bank of up to 20 patches so you can access them in ONE keystroke during live performance. You memorize those key numbers and often transfer that system to new synths you get as well. I still remember purchasing a TR61 which forever sat in the closet because it was so useless on live gigs.
Evildragon is right about Korg presets. The TR61 really did pretty much exactly what you want, you could easily optimize it for live gigging as you describe. It had 384 "combi" locations, and if you wanted to, you could replace all 384 locations with whatever sounds you wanted (whether single programs, or combinations of split and layered programs), in any order. They provided 16 categories, including User, but you could make the categories anything you want, so you could even have multiple user categories if you wanted, for different purposes. And you could use the "10s Hold" feature so that you could call up a bank of ten of your favorite sounds, and select from among those ten with a single button press (instead of, for example, using the numeric pad to type in a multi-digit entry). Yeah, I saw you want twenty one-keystroke sounds, but there aren't too many boards with twenty definable single-button sound select buttons. Ten isn't bad... it's pretty easy to shift to a different bank to call up from an alternate set of ten, if you are focused on single-button selection.

I think some confusion may have come about because Korg pre-fills all the combi locations but one from the factory. But those combis are, in a sense, just examples of different ways you can use the programs, you don't lose any of the actual programs (or ROM sounds) by erasing them. So unless you happen to find one of the preconfigured sample combis clearly useful in some way, it is expendable... you could erase it and none of the underlying sounds would be gone. Maybe they should have left half of the Combi locations empty, just so people would more immediately understand that those locations are really available for your own use, instead of pre-filling them all with, essentially, demonstrations of the ways you can combine the unit's sounds... but then, each of the combis they included are probably useful or inspirational to someone.

edit: I also read where you can use the 200 Song slots of the sequencer essentially as additional user voice/combi presets... basically, you do the first step of creating a sequence, i.e. assign a sound, and then just don't bother actually going any further than that, so you end up saving the "song" which contains nothing more than a patch selection.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
...Kronos has a Set List mode that is created exactly for live performances and it's extremely flexible (I'd say it's the best implementation of gig-worthy patch list ever, in fact)....
+ a whole bunch !!! The Kronos set list mode is HUGE in terms of organizing patches for live performance. The set list feature really lets you make practical use of the Kronos' capacity for storing user defined combi and single voice patches. These days - I create "song specific" patches for every song in my repertoire - which means I've got 300+ patches out there ... stored by song name.

Armed with 15-20 minutes and a paper copy of the night's set list - and I can have all the patches I expect to use during the evening - organized into a Kronos "Set List" that puts all the patches I expect to use during the evening at my fingertips, in "set list" order. No more menu diving between songs frantically trying to call up patches before the downbeat.

The Kronos "set list" feature has radically changed the way I operate on stage. I've never been so organized on stage - despite the fact that I'm juggling 100's of patches used in multiple bands! No more settling for dozen or so "generic" patches because I don't want to deal with the headache of menu diving to find others. My sound palate has never been as diverse - something that virtually every one of my bandmates have noticed and commented on!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gmdband View Post
I am not talking about Kronos, though. I am looking a Krome. Kronos is a lot of money to pay for a keyboard just for a simple User Bank which every other keyboard manufacturer has.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I was simply commenting on the Kronos' "Set List" feature that EvilDragon mentioned.

... and trust me the Kronos' "Set List" feature is NOT the same as the simple "User Bank" implementations that most keyboards offer.

Archived