OT: NIGHTMARE CIBER BULLLYING PAGE OF A HANDYCAP THAT FACEBOOK WON'T ELIMINATE

minimoog

It is actually a cruel act of bullying against that guy. Uncalled for.
But he has been interviewed and he is kinda cool with that. After all he now is "famous" (internet fame) because of his internet bullies.

Not that I actually care about it.
There are many other human-memes... but they have "a talent" like thinking they are singers... those crack me up.

Youtube:

Delfin Quishpe - Torres Gemelas
Wendy Sulca - La Tetita

I give you the gift of "La Tigresa del Oriente". She "sings" in English!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDEetor4c0s

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mediterranean View Post
Minimoog, this vid will make you feel very good.

Never bite more than you can chewsmile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfn4OxCPQs
I don't think the way this video was so widely liked is particularly good. Yeah, I get all the "good guy fights back" stuff, but at the end of the day it's still saying that the answer is to use violence against violence.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BonsoWonderDog View Post
I don't think the way this video was so widely liked is particularly good. Yeah, I get all the "good guy fights back" stuff, but at the end of the day it's still saying that the answer is to use violence against violence.

I take your point, and somewhat agree, but it also seems that certain people (especially boys with violent proclivities) only learn about the pain they cause by getting a taste of it themselves.

With some people, the suffering of others just doesn't move them at all. Some are just wired that way. It's now widely publicized that approximately 1% of all people in society are psychopathic, for instance.

I remember an old boxer once telling me that he thought boxing was a great way for boys to learn self control and nonviolence.

"Boys who box learn two things right away." he said. "They learn that they can hurt other boys, and they learn that other boys can hurt them."

• Members

I am with minimoog on this one - all bullying is bad. I am also against the idea of responding to violence with violence. In first grade, I was bullied by a second grader and the situation was resolved via my parents, his parents, and the school principle. By the time I was a junior in high school, I was a 6'1" and 185 lbs shot put and discus guy and he was a 5'6" and maybe 130 lbs "doper", but I never had a feeling of needing to retaliate. It was more feeling sorry for the kid; Rather, I wondered what was wrong with his childhood and self esteem that caused him to behave like that.

There are psychopaths and there are autistic people and in my opinion it is important to understand the difference between the two. There are people who are not capable of parsing cues from other people concerning their feelings or making the mental model of what it feels like to be someone else. I would suggest that if you are not familiar with Aspergers syndrome then you read up on it a bit. This is not a psychopathy, it is Autism. However, based on what I know, people with Aspergers are more likely to be the victim of bullying than perpetrators. It is doubly difficult in their case because they do not understand what is happening and may become confused between an attempt at bullying and something as simple as a friendly hello. When I was a Lego Robotics coach arriving at the end of school, I once observed my son become scared when some fellow students in his class just said hello to him in what was a very friendly way. They do role playing in a special ed social skills class that is designed to help him understand how to react in various social situations, and he has become much better at that. Growing up and maturing has helped in his case too.

My personal observation of kids, and even some adults, that take boxing or martial arts is that a significant number of them act out the things they learn in front of others and either project an attitude of violence or really become more violent. Some martial arts dojos will start from day one teaching to not behave this way and expel students who are observed acting out, but that does not seem to be the norm.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gribs View Post
My personal observation of kids, and even some adults, that take boxing or martial arts is that a significant number of them act out the things they learn in front of others and either project an attitude of violence or really become more violent. Some martial arts dojos will start from day one teaching to not behave this way and expel students who are observed acting out, but that does not seem to be the norm.
Kids might do this (usually in a playful way, since everything is a toy), but as someone who has taught martial arts for 29 years I'd say it's more of a rarity. And it's definitely not the norm in boxing, or with most adults. It's important to separate arts like boxing and MMA from children's karate schools. Boxing is a serious discipline and sport, and doing it frivolously or with abandon would be analogous to being a track and field athlete and throwing javelins at each other for fun. You just don't do it. Boxing has norms of fairness and sportsmanship that run deeply in the culture of the sport.

A lot of it depends on the culture of a given school or gym. If the instructor is a bully, then he tends to create students like him (one of the subtexts of the original "Karate Kid" film, incidentally, and quite true).

I agree that all bullying is bad. But not all violence is bullying. Some of it is just surviving. In some cases, reason simply doesn't work, and violence is all the bully understands.

If you're a kid dealing with a bully, sometimes involving both kids' parents can help resolve it, as was the case with you. But sometimes when you meet the bully's parents, you find out that they're ignorant and toothless and you can see *exactly* why their kid is a bully.

• Members
I am with minimoog on this one - all bullying is bad. I am also against the idea of responding to violence with violence. In first grade, I was bullied by a second grader and the situation was resolved via my parents, his parents, and the school principle.
I'm glad your experience with bullying was resolved so easily. My experience was that raising the issue with parents or teachers just made it worse. I was always told by authority figures that violence is never the answer, so I didn't try that, until in my penultimate year at school I finally snapped and fought back. The bullying stopped that day. Sometimes violence really IS the answer.

There are psychopaths and there are autistic people and in my opinion it is important to understand the difference between the two. There are people who are not capable of parsing cues from other people concerning their feelings or making the mental model of what
it feels like to be someone else. I would suggest that if you are not familiar with Aspergers syndrome then you read up on it a bit.
I am, as it happens, very familiar with Aspergers - I was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago (I'm in my 40s, btw). I can't help but wonder if, were I neuro-typical, I would have figured out the answer to my situation a lot sooner rather than taking the word of authority figures as gospel.

In short, I think saying violence is never the answer is TERRIBLE advice. I think saying it should only ever be a last resort is good, though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BonsoWonderDog View Post
Sadly, violence is the only language some bullies understand.

The guy in the video was a little bit much, though, you usually don't need to powerslam a bully (it's not wise to perform a move that can cause serious injury if you don't have to). A well placed punch is usually enough. Bullies are usually pussies.

• Members

People are pretty damn vile. I think you've got to feel pretty horrible about yourself if you get pleasure out of making fun of someone with severe physical deformities.

As for bullying, {censored} sucks, but that's life. I don't think turning it into a media melodrama is really going to change anything, it's just a way the press profits out of other peoples pain.

It's a sad fact that both these kids are on the low rung of the social totem pole, they should actually be friends, but the sadistic "cool" kids seems to have turned them against each other. The skinny one seems desperate enough to try to fit in that he'd actually go try to battle someone 4X his weight.

Being a kid is a learning process, life is so full of new feelings and emotions, you don't really learn to empathize until a bit later.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gus Lozada View Post
What a bunch of butterflies you guys are.
We all were either bullies or bullied.
Yeah, get over it, it's no big deal, why are you making me hit you, anyway?

I don't think you and me had anything like the same experience at school.

• Members

My father became the routine target of a bully in middle school, along with a few other kids. None of the teachers or the kid's parents were willing to discipline him. One day at school, my dad was walking behind the bully at the top of a tall flight of concrete stairs and pushed the bastard. He wasn't seriously hurt, although he never messed with my father or any of the other kids, ever again.

I've been the victim of armed robbery by two assailants, had a gun put two inches from my face while my girlfriend was simultaneously threatened with rape. An experience like that will change your view on things.

There are some people who can only understand the language of violence. This is why I'm a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment. I prefer to have adequate tools to clearly communicate with them.

Archived