• Time
  • Show
Clear All

sometimes I have friends over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7RTM1MA_Dw
    Hi Mom!

Comment

Holy crap that lady can kazoo!

Loved that mate, i'm going to subscribe to your channel, look out for me and you can subscribe back

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by xanderbeanz
        View Post

Holy crap that lady can kazoo!

And a set of pipes.

Comment

Great vids! I think the audio sounds just fine, especially since the piano is being miked from behind. The standard definition pic doesn't detract from the overall pleasant vibe one bit.

My inner geek, however, insists on overcoming my gentlemanly deportment to the extent of making me say that, if it were me, I'd give this a try: Record the audio directly into a DAW. This will allow you to mic the piano in stereo and record the vocals onto a different track. It's possible that flipping the phase of the vocal, then mixing the piano & vocal onto a new track, could attenuate the piano and pop the vocals a bit. At any rate, you'd have control over the individual sounds of the piano and voice, then add it into your iMovie project.

Of course, this presupposes that you have a DAW with multiple audio inputs, at least one more mic, and the desire to crap around with such fiddly doings...
          ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Plink Floyd
            View Post

My inner geek, however, insists on overcoming my gentlemanly deportment to the extent of making me say that, if it were me, I'd give this a try: Record the audio directly into a DAW. This will allow you to mic the piano in stereo and record the vocals onto a different track. It's possible that flipping the phase of the vocal, then mixing the piano & vocal onto a new track, could attenuate the piano and pop the vocals a bit. At any rate, you'd have control over the individual sounds of the piano and voice, then add it into your iMovie project.

Of course, this presupposes that you have a DAW with multiple audio inputs, at least one more mic, and the desire to crap around with such fiddly doings...

Thank you, Plink's inner geek. Actually, I'm recording into Logic through a Saffire 6 USB with two mics, one just above my head (the one that shouldn't show but does on some vids) and one behind the piano. There's a lot of piano in the vocal mic already--not much more to be done about that except to stand on the soft pedal or reduce the mic behind the piano to almost nothing (it's pretty low right now). I've also thought about using the EQ to bring out the vocal.

Here's an experiment with flipping the phase:

phase A

phase B

It doesn't seem to affect the volume of the piano but there is a slight change in sound. Does one sound better to you?
            Hi Mom!

Comment

It was all good so keep doing it...

Birdy for the WIN ;-)
              世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by pogo97
                View Post

I'm recording into Logic through a Saffire 6 USB

Ah, forgive me for assuming that you were recording directly into the cam.

I was hoping that the abundance of piano in the vocal track would enable the phase cancellation trick to work well. One other thing comes to mind, if you cared to fart with it any more: since the mics are placed at different distances from the piano, one track may lag a bit behind the other. For the best cancellation, the two tracks must be exactly 180
                ComputerMusicGuide.com

Comment

Things I should do first: put some felts in to move the keys closer to the strings and hold down the soft pedal. Play quieter. Play less.

Then frig with the mics.

I played with the phase and got quite a surprise when I aligned the waveforms. Just doing that cleaned up the sound a lot. A whole lot of comb filtering went away, mostly, and the 'room' sound became pleasant. I could turn off the eqs. Inverting one of them didn't make much difference: one sounded bassier than the other but that was about it. Really, there's just a bit too much piano even in the vocal mic alone and I need to frig with the mic and reduce the piano volume.

(Please don't take this amiss, but the one with the Miss was my favorite.)

That's why two of us cost more than one of us (if we got paid). And why we have musical friends.
                  Hi Mom!

Comment

Working...
                  X