Software Sampler to replace Hardware Sampler (Motif ES)

Enigmatic

• Members

Hey guys....

I am planning on replacing my hardware rompler/sampler (Yamaha Motif) with a software base solution. Any recommendation(s)?

I need some nice synthy stuff, piano and strings basically. I have a motif ES, which isn't cutting it for me (because editing wave tracks aren't as forgiving). And given all the high quality samples and plenty of disk space...i would like to go the software route for my home based studio.

I would like also like to stick with a single brand to avoid any compatibility issues. It does not have to top of the line, but something that would come close to a hardware/do-all kind of sampler like my motif ES. I play guitar, so i will mostly use the keyboards as a background.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

• Members

I was gonna mention "ask Metro" - lol. But I wasn't sure if you'd had time to take Goliath around the block yet.
+100 on Omnisphere. It just doesn't do bread and butter basics real well. Synth stuff is awesome. Acoustic Guitars to die for.
I'm waiting myself for Met to clue us in on Goliath though. It's looking promising from the demos I've heard.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by midinut View Post
Goliath, Nexus, SampleTank are the first things that come to mind to have you check into. If you are a Cubase user, then the stuff in HALion Sonic is supposed to be derived from the Motif sound set.
Thank you, Sir. I think you pretty nailed it for me. I do use Cubase 5. I forgot they do have HAlion sampler. I wasn't aware HALion was derived from Motif. I have to dig deeper into this. I really think all Hardware manufactures should offer a software based solution for studios. Hardware should only be used live only. Line6 is doing great in that arena offering POD amp models in software plugin fashion as well.

Thanks once again.

• Members

If you just have HALion Sonic SE that comes with Cubase you may want to spring for the upgrade to the full version. I am still running Cubase 5.5 so I'm still using the included HALion One. But even it has some distinctively Motif flavored sounds (ie Expressive Flute, S90ES Piano, etc). I'm waiting on a new laptop to get here before I upgrade mine to Cubase 7. Med has me jonesin' for Goliath now too though.

• Members

Thanks midinut. I will have to dig deeper. Cubase 5 did seem to come with HALion One. I will definitely upgrade to the full verison and give it a try. It's been a while since I am getting into music. I had no idea Cubase 7 was even out. Ah gotta love technology...

• Members

I have halion sonic and it's quite nice, but be warned, it's in that "band in box" vein in that it's mostly a GM upgrade. The built in VA engine is sweeeeeeet, but you'll find it lacking.

That's mainly why I decided to pony up for Goliath. 40 gigs and it's quite close to what a ROMpler can do. Check out some of the youtube vids on it.

But once it's all installed, audio and full report TBA soon smile.gif

• Members

I dont really want a band in a box. Expansion capability and new libraries would be nice to have. I am surprised HAlion wouldn't offer something like that (depending on what i need or genre i compose). (350 some voices/patches like the motif would be the ticket).

I haven't heard of Goliath before, but i have been out of touch with music for a while. Few years back it was Kontakt & Battery that was hot in the market...maybe things have changed.

Do let us know how Goliath works for you. I will look it up and do some research as well.

Thanks.

• Members

Doing some research on the web, I dont think there is any all-in-one software solution out there to replace a hardware rompler. Propeller head's Reason comes close, but i am not a fan of NN-XT sampler and libraries. The synths on reason are very nice though.

I think now I will have to break it down into categories and fill in the blank...and empty my bank in the process. I am now about to get into hole i will never be able to get out of facepalm.gif

So here are the main categories i may need:

Piano : ___________
Orchestral: ___________
Synths: ___________
World/Ethnic Instruments:_________

Thank you.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Metrosonus View Post
if you go to soundsonline.com you can browse their entire catalog. each packaged item is like it's own expansion card. orchestral, choral, piano ect. At worst, you may just have to mix and match between vendors.

have no fear, will update !
Here's the direct link: http://www.soundsonline.com/Goliath

I am reviewing it now. It cost $495. Not a bad deal if you get the whole 9 yards.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by midinut View Post
If you just have HALion Sonic SE that comes with Cubase you may want to spring for the upgrade to the full version. I am still running Cubase 5.5 so I'm still using the included HALion One. But even it has some distinctively Motif flavored sounds (ie Expressive Flute, S90ES Piano, etc). I'm waiting on a new laptop to get here before I upgrade mine to Cubase 7. Med has me jonesin' for Goliath now too though.

I'm using Cubase 5 and just heard about C7 a couple days ago. Not sure what happens if I skip this upgrade again, but I think I might.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mildbill View Post
I'm using Cubase 5 and just heard about C7 a couple days ago. Not sure what happens if I skip this upgrade again, but I think I might.
I am skipping the upgrade ($400 for the upgrade. Can't justify it). Every year they come out with a major iteration. Impossible to keep track. I am happy with Cubase 5 so far. I will probably upgrade when i get a faster PC or if the need arises.

By the way, I am trying the HAliOne right now on C5. It's very decent. More than enough for most background tracks with some tweaking. For some bizarre reason i though it was trial only, but apparently not. Am i missing something?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I am skipping the upgrade ($400 for the upgrade. Can't justify it). Every year they come out with a major iteration. Impossible to keep track. I am happy with Cubase 5 so far. I will probably upgrade when i get a faster PC or if the need arises.

By the way, I am trying the HAliOne right now on C5. It's very decent. More than enough for most background tracks with some tweaking. For some bizarre reason i though it was trial only, but apparently not. Am i missing something?

If it costs that much to upgrade, then I'm probably out. According to this, it's 149 and 199 euros to upgrade from 6, or 6.5. http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewt...p?f=34&t=28251

Halion sounds good. Better than Kontact IMO - but not as popular. There's no catch with HaliOne - it's a full program to use, but scaled back from other versions.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mildbill View Post
If it costs that much to upgrade, then I'm probably out. According to this, it's 149 and 199 euros to upgrade from 6, or 6.5. http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewt...p?f=34&t=28251

Halion sounds good. Better than Kontact IMO - but not as popular. There's no catch with HaliOne - it's a full program to use, but scaled back from other versions.
Oh you are upgrading from 6, if that is the case, it is $199 in us, but to jump from version 5 to 7, you will have to upgrade to version 6 first, which also cost $199, or you can buy the bundle for $399.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-studio-case-2

I am sold on HALion One, which is a free version. I am definitely pulling the trigger on Halion Sonic. The Halion library sounds match closely to the Motif ES. Love the S90 pianos they have in there. I think with HALion Sonic, you can layer split and do all kinds of things for live use as well.

Cheers.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Oh you are upgrading from 6, if that is the case, it is $199 in us, but to jump from version 5 to 7, you will have to upgrade to version 6 first, which also cost $199, or you can buy the bundle for $399.

I don't see Cubase 5 listed on that upgrade path. It's a upgrade path for users of LE and AI to get to Cubase Artist 7 (a stripped down version of C7)
I doubt that it would be that much to go from C5 to C7 .
In the 25 years I've been using Cubase, I've always skipped every other upgrade and never paid more than $150 (USD). Well, maybe there was a $199 thrown in there once - can't remember - ha ha.

says - "...

Upgrade to Cubase 7 from AI or LE.

This is the official software update to bring licensed users of Cubase LE or Cubase AI into the world of Cubase Artist 7. Artist 7 is a budget-conscious version of Steinberg's latest audio editing suite..."

• Members

According to the Steinberg Forum, the way I understand it - if you own Cubase 4 or 5 you can upgrade to 6.5 for $199 and also receive the grace period free upgrade to v7 if you activate 6.5 and authorize it before Dec 4? (not sure on date). Got a new laptop on its way and hope to able to take advantage of that offer if possible. I also can get the education discount and checked into HALion 4 and iirc that was only $100.

Archived