Kurzweil PC3LE 6 or Korg krome?

cresshead

• Members

main things i'm looking for are orchestral sounds like basson, oboe, clarinet, trumpets, french horns, cello, violin, realistic guitar (acoustic and electric) , bass..usual suspects! not bother by organs and the piano sounds okay from what i hear.

krome also seems a nice board but not been wowed by yhe orchestral sounds i've heard on youtube so far...the sound a bit flat maybe i need to find some better demo's
i do like it's u.i. and the touch screen mind you.

sort of music i want to create is for some ibook author sound tracks for my children's picture books i'm making in 2013 having a classic old school soundtrack! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bKAYH3Sl8s

going for that retro old sound!

Kurzweil PC3LE 6

• Members

okay thanks for that...i'm searching for some demos either audio or youtube on the krome for basson, oboe, clarinet, trumpets, french horns, cello, violin etc...so far...not found much!
seems plenty of organ piano and string sections!

one thing in favor of the krome is that it has a pc editor out for it and it's FREE!
i also like the programable arps on the krome too.

one other thing when looking at these is i'd like a new controller keyboard...i'm slowly thinking i'll have to get one of these and a integra 7 to really do what i want...if only Roland made a keyboard version of the roland integra 7 ---- not the jupiter's though i need 16 midi channels!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Casio Man View Post
PC3le vs Mox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IqKREuYS1g

6:24 tremolo strings on the Mox sound ridiculous.
I have to admit I think they both sound good overall, especially since I'm looking for a live board. I've only played the 88-key versions of either, and I preferred the Kurzweil for build quality by far...then again that means weight. Weighted keys were both ok (The s90 was better than either in that regard), I can't offer an opinion on the 61-key action. One thing to keep in mind from what I've read: there may not be an easy way on the Mox to control volumes of parts like you can on the Motif. I think there is a workaround but I don't know how easy it is...that may not be an issue for you but for me that is pretty important in a live setting. That is just what I've read mind you, I could be off-base.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RetroVintageOld View Post
I like you books!
those vids i posted above are examples of music track i'd like to emulate.. i DID NOT create those videos!...wish i did mind you!...
they're from the 60's - early 80's childrens tv in england!

i want my books to have a similar retro feel for the music but on an ipad!
the images will be made in 3d seeing as i'm a 3d artist/designer as a day job!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ

View Post

Anything KURZ is a good choice. The Korg is going to give a good synth feel but the KURZ is great for gigging with bread and butter sounds with some synth thrown in.

I don't know why you would say that... the Kurzweil has VAST and real analog modeling oscillators... while the Krome has only sampled sounds. Good sample sounds, mind you, and I think the OP would be happy with either of those, or with a Motif MOX6. But on paper the Kurzweil is clearly way more full featured, especially on the synth sounds aspect! Not to mention the details - don't underestimate having aftertouch, for example...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
the Kurzweil PC3LE 6 sounds much better in my opinion than the yamaha in that video
Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
For that budget your could hunt down a used PC361
Don't know if it's still available. I would also be wary of craigslist except for local pickup.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/3326127226.html

I'm surprised that it's been accepted that the Kurz orchestral sounds are weak - it's probably the strong point of the PC3 and PC3LE series. Except maybe for the brass...
There is a realism in the orchestral in Kurzweils that sets them apart, for me - "sounds real" is different than "sounds great".

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
i heard that the vibrato is built into the samples for some sounds which is not good...is that right?
According to a post on the motifator site, they provide instruments with and without sampled vibrato.

From http://www.motifator.com/index.php/f...thread/455002/

"Yamaha, when they sample instruments like violins, sample the natural vibrato of the musician - this is subjective but the reasons are: They sound more realistic and natural when applied by a real player. Using an LFO for vibrato can quickly begin to sound too perfect (synthy). But again it is subjective - and this is why you have a CHOICE!!!

Of course, this is a synthesizer, so keyboard players sometimes feel that THEY want to control the vibrato. And even though it is very (very) expensive from a wave ROM standpoint to include the real vibrato, you are also provided the violin sampled without vibrato."

• Members

So much bloody good strings, but truly lack of any real good other orchestral instruments. Ive owned motif xs, same sounds on the mox, overall better pallette compared to kurz. Anyway, pls do try kurz first, because I still think the aftertouch keys and 16part performance mode is dope.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock

View Post

I'm surprised that it's been accepted that the Kurz orchestral sounds are weak - it's probably the strong point of the PC3 and PC3LE series. Except maybe for the brass...

I don't think it's been accepted, I think just one person said it. There's a lot of personal preference, and it depends on which sounds you need and what kind of things you're doing (as you said, it's brass isn't a strength). As a whole, I think Kurz (PC3/LE), Yamaha (MOX/XS/XF), and Roland (Jupiter and especially Integra) are all strong contenders for people looking for orchestral stuff.

Archived