Live gigging keyboardists - slipping & sliding pedals!

edc1800

• Members

For you guys who gig out regularly, I'm wondering what you might be doing to keep controller pedals from sliding all over the floor. For my 'simple' duo (myself and a guitarist -- and what seems like an ever-growing collection of sound gear), I use just one stage piano on an X stand with the sustain pedal just inside the right base bar. Occasionally we're on a floor surface where it stays put, but most of the time I seem to spend half the night chasing it all over the place. I would love to be able to just set it and forget it, so I'm looking for any ideas for something small and effective at keeping the pedal stationary.

Thanks!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by n9ne View Post
You've seen that tacky non-slip foam-rubber lining they make for shelves and tool boxes?

http://www.dollargeneral.com/product...40&cagpspn=pla

You could get a roll of that stuff, cut a couple smaller pieces to fit your pedals, and glue them to the rubber on the bottom of the pedal.
Great suggestions all, but this one might be the winner for me. Will definitely give this a try. thumb.gif

• Members

I use 3 pedals, but when I used 1, I did the same thing: Get a piece of indoor/outdoor scrap carpet.....the kind with the black rubber backing; it is used a lot for hall runners, usually sold off a roll about 3 foot wide. Buy 1 1/2 foot long piece off the roll. You'll have plenty for anything in the future.
Cut a square to fit on the floor around your pedal(s). You can modify the square with a notch or something if you want it to fit around a stand leg or something.

Buy some Velcro. Get some HD stuff. I got a small roll of the black color stuff, which is the strongest. You only need to use one of the Velcro pieces, the one which sticks to the carpet piece. Stick it to the bottom of the pedal and put it on the carpet where you want. I my case I roll up my 3 pedals and put them in a nylon bag. It's cheap, lightweight, convenient and never slides on anything.

• Members

As you can see from my sig I;ve got a few pedals in my keyboard rig and I;ve found that one of those $3 welcome mats from Wal-Mart are fantastic....even though I have up gigging and playing out years ago I've found this to be perfect for pedals not moving out of range....

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
I don't play out a lot but this is what I use. No slipping.

Also, there's much better alternatives to X-stands... I can't stand X-stands. But do what you gotta do smile.gif
Gonna give the no-slip shelf liner a shot. The wife had a bunch sitting around, so we'll go cheap first and see how that works.

As for the stand, I use an Ultimate Z stand when I'm using two boards with the band, but for the duo when I'm sitting with just the stage piano, the X stand works fine for me.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. wink.gif

• Members

I use the same pedal as that fella with House in his avatar if I'm playing just piano. It works well.

I play a Yamaha wedge when my "stand" is an organ. It slips a bit, but the organ more or less holds it into place. I've been thinking about putting some velcro on the bottom, like a kick drum pedal, to connect with stage carpet. Not that it matters much. When I'm playing in a rock band I almost never use the damper.

• Members

I use shelf liner too, but it's what you'd use in a tool box. Sorta like honeycombed rubber matting. You can get it at Lowe's/Home Depot. I cut a couple pieces, one for each side as I have a Leslie speed clicker for my Vent on the left, and an expression and sustain on the right. I gave a piece to my drummer to put on top of his rack that he puts the mixing board on too. It works very well. It does wear out after a while from your feet but it's cheap enough that if you buy a 10' roll, it will last a while.

Archived