Studiologic Sledge review

chiro973

• Members

I just bought the new Studiologic Sledge, and for what its worth this is my two cents.
It has an excellent interface, anyone who is familiar with a mini-moog layout will feel right at home here. Its interface is so intuitive that one barely needs a manual to read. The sound is very analogue-oriented, it has a very warm, full tone ,it instinctively and easily obtains Moog, old-Roland, Oberheim synth sounds. Mind you with the wavetable and other elements it can achieve the FM and harsher and colder sounds as well. I have had it only for a few days but the front panel begs to be twiddled with and creating new sounds is effortless, fun and quite expansive. The presets are so-so like so many synths they are starting points to be tweaked. I really like this synth so far, light as a feather by the way. thumb.gif Will let you know more down the road.
For the record the keyboards I have own/have owned are: Mini-Moog model D, Oberheim 4-voice, Korg Lambda, Hammond Concert Model E, Wurlitzer Electric Piano, Elka String Machine, Helpinstill Roadmaster piano, Roland JV8P, Yamaha DX27, Kurzweil PC1SE, Kurzweil SP4-7. Yamaha CS6X, Nord Lead 2, Roland Fantom-S, Roland Fantom-G, Yamaha MOX-6, Novation Supernova 2, Novation X-station.

• Members

I have had the chance to play the Sledge for about an hour and I found its interface spectacularly good, you fly on the knobs and buttons in no time and without needing a manual at all. It has all the basic functions plus some not so basic (sync, ring mod, fm...), and those 3 oscillators... I'm not sure if I like the color matching, but the dimension/weight combination is a winner for me.
Now about the sound... it certainly has a personality, a certain 'color' to it.... to the point that it sounds a bit like it's going thru some equalization circuit or booster of some kind.... that's probably not happening, but in some way, iy has a certain 'sameness' in its sound quality, a certain aggressivity that you might like or not. Certainly, it doesn't sound like any other Waldorf which I've played. Personally, I find it quite useful for certain sounds like strange leads and wicked basses, but less pleasant for warm, creamy sounds. YMMV of course.

• Members

Ah, okay. I saw them listed at bhphoto for 1599 but not in stock. I thought that the price might go down. For that price, the board would have to be something really special in terms of sound and sturdiness, given its specs, for me to want to buy it.

• Members

Can the Ramp Generator affect OSC pitch? If so, can you choose which OSC 1, 2, or 3 that the Ramp affects? I'm wondering if the Sedge can do the Oberheim brass thing where OSC 2's pitch ramps down, while OSC 1 pitch stays constant.

The Sledge sounds good to me. Kind of aggressive sounding, which has been mentioned. Thanks for your report.

Archived