Bizarre K2000 Problem -- Help, Dave Weiser or Anybody

zoink

• Members

I noticed recently that certain patches on my K2000 V3 (OS 3.54J) have layers that are randomly transposed and/or out of tune (for example, "Brass Fanfare" patch #97). But here's the weird part: when I change MIDI channels (for example, from ch.1 to ch.2) and dial up that same patch, it's just fine.

It seemed to be a problem native only to MIDI channel 1, but then I found out that it was only because the unit was set to MIDI channel 1 when booting up. If I shut off the unit on channel 16 and then turn it on again, THAT is the channel that screws up those patches. So it has something to do (I guess) with a glitch in the mapping or pitch information sent through the MIDI channel it's set to when it boots up.

Any ideas?

• Members

When was the last time you replaced the battery? Not sure if it has anything to do with your problem. Sometimes it can cause random weirdness. If that's not the culprit then I'd try re-installing the latest OS.

I know, I know.... Captain Obvious.

Just the other day my step daughter's iPod was acting funky. I thought for sure it was done for until I tried reformatting it. Works perfectly now.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
When was the last time you replaced the battery? Not sure if it has anything to do with your problem. Sometimes it can cause random weirdness. If that's not the culprit then I'd try re-installing the latest OS.

I know, I know.... Captain Obvious.

Just the other day my step daughter's iPod was acting funky. I thought for sure it was done for until I tried reformatting it. Works perfectly now.
Thanks for the advice. It's strange, but it was after I replaced the batteries with fresh ones today that I first noticed the problem. I'm not sure if it's related or not, but the timing is curious.

On the OS, I'll also open up the unit and make sure the OS EPROMs are seated properly. Unfortunately the K2000 doesn't store its OS in updatable flash ROM (though the K2500 does) -- to update the OS you have to physically replace those two chips.

If I do have to replace the OS EPROMs, fortunately (after just checking eBay) they're not that expensive -- under $40.

I just hope it's not the setup EPROMs that have gone bad.

• Members

I owned one back in the 90s that had a similar problem with factory patches that used electric bass samples. I did a soft or hard reset (can't remember which, or how; too long ago!), and the problem was fixed. The reset will dump your program ram, so back up everything first.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zoink View Post
Another thing I just noticed: when I go into the sequencer and record or playback a track (with any patch), the problem goes away. But then when I turn off the unit and reboot, the problem reappears.
As has been suggested, after replacing the PRAM batteries a reset is prudent.
http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/k2...eshooting/193/

Archived