Compact amplification for tight venues.

Shawn2009

• Members

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I'd like to try a new angle on it. Lately I've been getting a lot of gigs in small restaurants where there's not much space for the band. The instrumentation is a trio: piano, upright bass, vocals (or flute once), playing jazz standards and some low-key pop. I'm playing a Roland RD-700SX through a Motion Sound KP200s. I love the MS but it's big and clunky and takes up too much space at these gigs. Can you recommend something smaller and more compact? There is a house PA, but just for vocals.

I'v been able to try out a QSC K10 and I like it (although I find it to be significantly brighter than my MS). I can carry it in one hand and it's super loud. How about a K8 or an EV ZXA1? Do you still get a nice full piano and rhodes sound through an 8" speaker?

Thanks!

Shawn

• Members

K8 would work; it has a different tonal balance than the K10, which sounds the most pleasing to my ears.

When evaluating the K series, make sure to place all the tone control switches in back to flat - one provides a vocal midrange boost and another provides a bass boost, which is totally unnecessary IMO.

Archived