Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compact amplification for tight venues.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact amplification for tight venues.

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I'd like to try a new angle on it. Lately I've been getting a lot of gigs in small restaurants where there's not much space for the band. The instrumentation is a trio: piano, upright bass, vocals (or flute once), playing jazz standards and some low-key pop. I'm playing a Roland RD-700SX through a Motion Sound KP200s. I love the MS but it's big and clunky and takes up too much space at these gigs. Can you recommend something smaller and more compact? There is a house PA, but just for vocals.

I'v been able to try out a QSC K10 and I like it (although I find it to be significantly brighter than my MS). I can carry it in one hand and it's super loud. How about a K8 or an EV ZXA1? Do you still get a nice full piano and rhodes sound through an 8" speaker?

Thanks!

Shawn

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...monitor#review

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn2009
      View Post

"... How about a K8 or an EV ZXA1? Do you still get a nice full piano and rhodes sound through an 8" speaker?..."

In my opinion for the environment you're describing, yes.
      '57 Hammond B3; '69 Hammond L100P; Hammond XM2/XMc2; '68 Leslie 122; Motion Sound Low Pro/Pro 3T; Neo Vent; Kurzweil PC3; Generalmusic Equinox 88 Pro and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; EV ELX112P; '67 Howard Combo Organ; http://www.dyinbreedband.com

Comment

I have a K-10 for my keyboards and for me it is the best balance of sound quality and portability.

-dj
        Nord Wave
        Nord Stage 2
        Kawai K5000S
        Korg WS-AD
        Korg TR-Rack
        Roland XV-5050
        Emu Procussion
        Presonus SL 16.0.2
        Yamaha KX-5
        Alesis Vortex

Comment

those bose portable PA speakers would be ideal for that.
          Give me my moog, but **** off you american techno rockstar! people in countries I've never been to do it better than you!

Computer Music Guide

Comment

The K10 is the best choice if you don't mind the price tag. The other choice I would recommend is the Bose L1 Compact. It can be fitted for many heights.

Comment

K8 would work; it has a different tonal balance than the K10, which sounds the most pleasing to my ears.

When evaluating the K series, make sure to place all the tone control switches in back to flat - one provides a vocal midrange boost and another provides a bass boost, which is totally unnecessary IMO.
              Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

I compared the K8 and ZXa1. I found the EV to be much more neutral, so piano in particular sounded better. But the K8 definitely goes louder (and the K10 would go louder still).

Comment

Working...
                X