Prophet 5 voice card/chip/cap problem...

Mykol Beta

• Members

I bought a Prophet 5 rev 3.0 this past July. Initially I had some j-wire problems, mainly re-triggering keys. I was able to fix this temporarily by cleaning the j-wire and busbar.

A few hours ago, I noticed that when I played chords that only 1 note that would be built from, say for example, a 5 note chord, would sound louder than the others. If I played for example, C E G Bb C, the Bb would sound louder...then I'd change to C E G B C and the last C would be louder, then if I went back to the C E G Bb C, the last C would still be louder (in amplitude) even though originally it was the Bb that was louder. This happens with any chord, even if its only a 2, 3 or 4 note chord. This leads me to think its possibly a chip/cap problem in the voice card. I am no tech by any means, so I could be very likely wrong here.

I tried each oscillator by itself through the mixer, first through osc. A then osc. B...osc. B seems to be the one with voice card issues. When using any of the three waveforms, in each octave I only get a couple of notes. For example, if I'm in middle C and play CDE...F only makes a crackily sound (almost like a bad/dirty pot when it you try turning it) or like the pops and hiss of a vinyl record, then GAB work fine and the C in that next octave makes the crackily noise, then DEFG sound until B, etc. etc., this changes in each octave.

I also tried the filter without any waveforms and just the resonance up, and played a scale, all keys worked although obviously nothing musical came out of it, just high pitched glitchy/dissonant sounds. Meaning the filter seems to be working as it should.

I wanted to see if anyone had this problem before and what it ended up being/how they fixed or got it fixed.

I'm in southern California so I'm thinking of eventually getting it fixed either by http://www.analogsynthservice.com/ or http://www.audiorehab.net/services.html

The first link gets great reviews on forums, but I'd have to ship it north and run the risk of it getting damaged on the way/or back from repair. The second link is less than an hour away for me, which would obviously be the best option transportation wise. If anyone has a tech they'd recommend in SoCal or can vouch for the ones I linked, I would appreciate it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Archived