Ready for a Workstation

rockfan

• Members

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Workstation. I want to have VA synth sounds in it and I've read Kurzweil has that option, but don't know if the others have it. I also want the keyboard to have ease of use. Finally, keys that are not weighted

Does this keyboard exist? If so, which one? Thanks for your help!

• Members

Kurzweil PC3 LE 6, it's well priced and sounds darn good to my ears, plus has aftertouch.

note when your reading reviews on this synth it has since had a o/s update so they you now CAN EDIT the V.A.S.T synth engine FULLY like it's big brothers

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rockfan View Post
I also want the keyboard to have ease of use.
Just my own opinion, but i'd definitely scratch the PC3 off the list in that case. I had one for a 30 day trial, worst user interface i've ever seen. Too bad, 'cause it did have some nice sounds. (I've never tried a PC3LE, which might be easier to use.)

- Jimbo

• Members

Unweighted keys, ease of use, VA on board = Korg Kronos 61. The Kronos has three different VA's. Two are models of classic Korg synths and the third is a general and very flexible VA.

Honestly none of the workstations are easy to use in my opinion. Some are easier than others and a system that clicks in one person's mind may not click with anothers.

• Members

I looked at several workstations but couldn't get to grips with any of them. Then I read the Kronos review in SOS and decided it was the keyboard I had been waiting for. Had it over a year now and haven't changed my mind. It's very straightforward but does so much the mind boggles. It is truly a fine machine. However, there's an important point to consider. I also have a couple of Yamaha arrangers and found Yamaha support to be excellent. Korg support seems to be almost non-existent, and that applies to the US, Canada and the UK, having tried all three. If only Yamaha had made the Kronos then we would have the best of both worlds.

Bryan

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gribs View Post
The Kronos has three different VA's. Two are models of classic Korg synths and the third is a general and very flexible VA.
MOD-7 also works as a VA, though it might just be a wee bit overkill for that role.

But, yeah. OP should definitely consider the Kronos; that and the PC3 are just about the only boards which meet the criterion of being a sample-based workstation with an onboard VA engine.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gribs View Post
Unweighted keys, ease of use, VA on board = Korg Kronos 61. The Kronos has three different VA's. Two are models of classic Korg synths and the third is a general and very flexible VA.

Honestly none of the workstations are easy to use in my opinion. Some are easier than others and a system that clicks in one person's mind may not click with anothers.
I'm between a Roland and a Yamaha since I already own a VA and the Moog Minitaur.
Iused to own a Yamaha ROMpler years back, but I'm leaning to a Roland this time; players I've spoken to swear by it. And, yeah, a 61-key with aftertouch.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rockfan View Post
Jesus. The synth succeeding the OASYS.
That's a lot of synth, guys! And freakin' expensive to boot!
I really have to think about that one.
A lot of places are now closing out the non-X Kronoses. Good deals to be had, if you look around or ask for a store's best price.

• Members

Might also think about going back a rev. to the Motif XS7. If you don't need the XF's new features, don't pay for them. IMO, the XS7 has the BEST analog sounds for a rompler (think 80s brass, pads, Jupiter-type strings, leads, etc.). Plus the bread-and-butter stuff. LOVE mine.

• Members

If you've got $3,000 to spend, then the Kronos is far and away the best workstation you can get with a built-in VA.

The PC3 is also an excellent workstation. Its built-in VA is very powerful, and in my experience the interface is not difficult to use -- though the display is smaller and graphically less refined than other current workstations. But the *sound* of the PC3 is stellar.

The other available workstations (Motif XF, Mo-X, Fantom G, etc.) are romplers with some VA-like programming features, but they're not true VAs.

If you want a workstation with a VA and you're not set on getting something brand new, you might want to consider a used M3 with Radias expansion or a Motif ES with AN plug-in expansion board.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zoink View Post
If you've got $3,000 to spend, then the Kronos is far and away the best workstation you can get with a built-in VA.
Confusingly, in his original post he said, "I want to have VA synth sounds in it..."

but in a subsequent post, he said, "I'm between a Roland and a Yamaha since I already own a VA and the Moog Minitaur."

Confusing.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Confusingly, in his original post he said, "I want to have VA synth sounds in it..."

but in a subsequent post, he said, "I'm between a Roland and a Yamaha since I already own a VA and the Moog Minitaur."

Confusing.

Yeah, I caught that and wasn't sure what to make of it either. If he just wants "synth sounds" then pretty much any of the workstations on the market will have plenty of those (and generally good ones, too). But the Fantom and Motif XS/XF don't actually have a VA engine, so there might be some confusion there about the distinction.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post

Confusing.

Sorry for the confusion.

I initially wanted VA sounds, but then changed my mind since, during the active forum, I purchased the Akai Synthstation for my iPad. I have the Moog and other synth apps on my iPad to use without having to worry about the synth having VA sounds. And, the fact I already have a VA.

Nevertheless, I'm still eyeing a workstation.

• Members

Well, you have three VAs in the Kronos, an expanded MS20, an expanded Polysix and the AL1, which is so powerful it will do just about everything except make the coffee and put the cat out at night (and there's probably a way to do that if you could figure it out). And as the man says, MOD7 is sort of a VA. I downloaded 200,000 DX7 sounds for it though after winnowing out the ones that didn't work I still had 90,000. And that's for one synth. And it can use samples as well. The only limitation is the solid state drive but you can easily install a bigger one or even two. The mind boggles.

Bryan

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Klaus View Post
MOD-7 also works as a VA, though it might just be a wee bit overkill for that role.

But, yeah. OP should definitely consider the Kronos; that and the PC3 are just about the only boards which meet the criterion of being a sample-based workstation with an onboard VA engine.
There's also the old trusty cheapo Alesis Fusion smile.gif

I did this little demo last week to show it off a bit as a VA/workstation. The main lead is a VA sound I programmed. All other sounds are sample-based. It was all done and sequenced inside the Fusion. I then dumped it to my Mac and added a little limiting and compressing to the mixed file.

The Yamaha EX5/EX7 also had a VA section.

But yeah if you're talking about currently sold workstations, the Kronos and the PC3 line are the only game in town still.

• Members

+1 for the Korg.

If you are serious about deciding between the Roland and the Yamaha, don't get the Roland.

*Disclaimer: This opinion is based soley on my experience and is worth exactly what you paid for it. You may find the one Roland that actually works every time you turn it on.

Archived