Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for a Workstation

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Workstation. I want to have VA synth sounds in it and I've read Kurzweil has that option, but don't know if the others have it. I also want the keyboard to have ease of use. Finally, keys that are not weighted

Does this keyboard exist? If so, which one? Thanks for your help!
    Music is my Master-- Led Zeppelin

Korg Kronos is a good option as well.

Comment

yamaha motif XF, Korg Kronos, Kurzweil PC3, Roland Fantom G. take your pick

Comment

Yamaha tends to have most buttons of them all, and that helps ease of use. I remember counting on MOX, around 100 buttons.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZKPvDwF-q4

Kurzweil PC3 LE 6, it's well priced and sounds darn good to my ears, plus has aftertouch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL4eNJOlZN4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3z_FBIMWg

note when your reading reviews on this synth it has since had a o/s update so they you now CAN EDIT the V.A.S.T synth engine FULLY like it's big brothers
          http://www.cresshead.comhttp://soundcloud.com/cresshead-1Korg Volca Bass, Logic Pro 9, Arturia Mini Brute, Roland sh-01 - korg electribe emx - Blofeld - Nanozwerg - yamaha RX5 - CS1X - Korg DDD1 - Trackman -ipad3

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rockfan
            View Post

I also want the keyboard to have ease of use.

Just my own opinion, but i'd definitely scratch the PC3 off the list in that case. I had one for a 30 day trial, worst user interface i've ever seen. Too bad, 'cause it did have some nice sounds. (I've never tried a PC3LE, which might be easier to use.)

- Jimbo

Comment

What is your budget?

The Yamaha XF8 is priced here at $2,879.

The Korg Kronos 88 is priced here at $3,299.

(Sorry. Posted the 88-key weighted prices because I misread what the OP originally wrote.)
              -------------------------------
              Michael
              Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
              27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
              http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

Unweighted keys, ease of use, VA on board = Korg Kronos 61. The Kronos has three different VA's. Two are models of classic Korg synths and the third is a general and very flexible VA.

Honestly none of the workstations are easy to use in my opinion. Some are easier than others and a system that clicks in one person's mind may not click with anothers.
                Gribs

...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.

G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).

Comment

I looked at several workstations but couldn't get to grips with any of them. Then I read the Kronos review in SOS and decided it was the keyboard I had been waiting for. Had it over a year now and haven't changed my mind. It's very straightforward but does so much the mind boggles. It is truly a fine machine. However, there's an important point to consider. I also have a couple of Yamaha arrangers and found Yamaha support to be excellent. Korg support seems to be almost non-existent, and that applies to the US, Canada and the UK, having tried all three. If only Yamaha had made the Kronos then we would have the best of both worlds.

Bryan
                  The Lone Arranger (and resident old guy)

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't teach an old dog to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs
                    View Post

The Kronos has three different VA's. Two are models of classic Korg synths and the third is a general and very flexible VA.

MOD-7 also works as a VA, though it might just be a wee bit overkill for that role.

But, yeah. OP should definitely consider the Kronos; that and the PC3 are just about the only boards which meet the criterion of being a sample-based workstation with an onboard VA engine.

Keys and Pads: Arturia Analog Laboratory 49, Arturia Spark, Korg Kronos 61, Korg nanoPad 2
                    Strings: Carvin Bolt HSS w/ Wilkinson vibrato
                    DAWs: FL Studio 10, Sonar X2 Producer
                    Plugs: Arturia V Collection 3, Crypton Vocaloid 2 Megurine Luka, Korg Legacy Collection, Madrona Labs Aalto, NI Guitar Rig 5, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd
                      View Post

What is your budget?

The Yamaha XF8 is priced here at $2,879.

The Korg Kronos 88 is priced here at $3,299.

I'm ready to spend up to $3000.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs
                        View Post

Unweighted keys, ease of use, VA on board = Korg Kronos 61. The Kronos has three different VA's. Two are models of classic Korg synths and the third is a general and very flexible VA.

Honestly none of the workstations are easy to use in my opinion. Some are easier than others and a system that clicks in one person's mind may not click with anothers.

I'm between a Roland and a Yamaha since I already own a VA and the Moog Minitaur.

Iused to own a Yamaha ROMpler years back, but I'm leaning to a Roland this time; players I've spoken to swear by it. And, yeah, a 61-key with aftertouch.

Comment

+100 for the Kronos
                          Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by McHale
                            View Post

+100 for the Kronos

Jesus. The synth succeeding the OASYS.

That's a lot of synth, guys! And freakin' expensive to boot!

I really have to think about that one.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rockfan
                              View Post

Jesus. The synth succeeding the OASYS.

That's a lot of synth, guys! And freakin' expensive to boot!

I really have to think about that one.

A lot of places are now closing out the non-X Kronoses. Good deals to be had, if you look around or ask for a store's best price.

Keys and Pads: Arturia Analog Laboratory 49, Arturia Spark, Korg Kronos 61, Korg nanoPad 2
                              Strings: Carvin Bolt HSS w/ Wilkinson vibrato
                              DAWs: FL Studio 10, Sonar X2 Producer
                              Plugs: Arturia V Collection 3, Crypton Vocaloid 2 Megurine Luka, Korg Legacy Collection, Madrona Labs Aalto, NI Guitar Rig 5, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X