♪♫ ♯♩♪♫♬ ► Oxygen IV in an 80's - Italo style : Alesis Fusion, EHx Phaser & Flanger

tlnet37

• Members

hello,

This is a short experiment of a preset mix (combination of 5 programs/arp. split-layered) with Eminent 310 sample added and thru an Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter and Electric Mistress DeLuxe. All sounds are from the Fusion, re-recorded in Studio One Artist ; no midi file.

it's here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV89RNrIcoo

cheers,
tlnet37

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tlnet37 View Post
hello,

This is a short experiment of a preset mix (combination of 5 programs/arp. split-layered) with Eminent 310 sample added and thru an Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter and Electric Mistress DeLuxe. All sounds are from the Fusion, re-recorded in Studio One Artist ; no midi file.

it's here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV89RNrIcoo

cheers,
tlnet37
You apologised in the video text.... No need... sounds so good !!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
Good stuff, you seem to have improved the audio quality smile.gif
thanks mister Christian !
yes, I added a usb hub between the USB Audiobox interface and the PC, so the noise is lower than in the previous recordings ; but that problem still exists !

And you, what about your equipment (I had to visit your website !).

salut !
thierry

• Members

The songs on that website all had Fusion keyboard parts. Other than that it was real guitar and bass, and a Zoom drum machine. Recorded on a Tascam 16-track tape recorder and mixed with a Mackie 8-bus into an Alesis Masterlink. No personal computer was involved!

Now I had to get rid of that mostly analog setup and get me a Mac with Maschine. But the Fusion still remains (now it's an 8HD).

I just posted this in another thread, but here's something I did with the Fusion last week. All sounds, sequencing, effects and mixing done in the Fusion in about a couple hours. Then I added compression and limiting on the mixed track in my Mac.

• Members
The songs on that website all had Fusion keyboard parts. Other than that it was real guitar and bass, and a Zoom drum machine. Recorded on a Tascam 16-track tape recorder and mixed with a Mackie 8-bus into an Alesis Masterlink. No personal computer was involved!

Now I had to get rid of that mostly analog setup and get me a Mac with Maschine. But the Fusion still remains (now it's an 8HD).

I just posted this in another thread, but here's something I did with the Fusion last week. All sounds, sequencing, effects and mixing done in the Fusion in about a couple hours. Then I added compression and limiting on the mixed track in my Mac.
Wowwww ! this is excellent and what a clean sound ! this is natural & real music ! bravo ! I like the sound you used to play your melody, it reminds me a CS80 brass used by Vangelis ; is that a VA preset or you built it ? congratulations for your music thumb.gif

• Members

I built that sound, but it's pretty basic. Gotta love having 3-osc - here I have two slightly detuned saws plus a sine for meat, and the 1-pole filter (yup, it's the only one that will give that type envelope response). Add a hint of LFO on the cutoff and the pitch of both oscillators and that's it.

It's clean because I'm recording through SPDIF into my Steinberg interface. I found the Fusion analog outs lose a LOT of clarity for recording.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by madprof View Post
Love this Jarre cover. When I realised the Fusion had the Eminent sample I went and bought a Small Stone. Excellent work. And interesting to hear the view about the analogue outs.
Thank you mister madprof ! and yes, the discussions with mister Christian are interesting about the different ways (and equipments) to record while playing the Fusion.

You can download and convert the samples of the Eminent Phaser Strings from here (you must sign in, it's free) : http://www.sf2midi.com/soundfonts/fi...-sf2-1886.html

It's is a "JM Jarre" collection including laser harp and others in a sf2 format that you can convert in Fusion format with Fusion Convertor.

cheers !
thierry

• Members

The analog output issue is a given for stuff up to the mid 2000s. The converters just weren't there yet (and still aren't on cheaply made stuff like the SH201, Microstation, etc). I heard if you use digital outs on a Fantom X, MC909 or RS7000 it's a whole different ball game.

I didn't really think of it as an issue because I've always liked the Fusion sounds and recording it to tape sounded very good. But one day I made a song to sing over for my youngest son and went through the analog outputs to a tape to add parts. That didn't work out and I never finished the song (though I did sing over the backtracks to him...). But I did made a direct SPDIF recording to show off to some friends and I was surprised at how much better it sounded - especially sounds with lots of top end like the DX7 style Rhodes that I used (don't hate me...). And here's that file if anyone wants to hear, all done in the Fusion: https://www.box.com/shared/z515dk0117

I have an Eminent strings patch that I think is from Hollow Sun. I've played it but don't use it much smile.gif

Cheers!

• Members
The analog output issue is a given for stuff up to the mid 2000s. The converters just weren't there yet (and still aren't on cheaply made stuff like the SH201, Microstation, etc). I heard if you use digital outs on a Fantom X, MC909 or RS7000 it's a whole different ball game.

I didn't really think of it as an issue because I've always liked the Fusion sounds and recording it to tape sounded very good. But one day I made a song to sing over for my youngest son and went through the analog outputs to a tape to add parts. That didn't work out and I never finished the song (though I did sing over the backtracks to him...). But I did made a direct SPDIF recording to show off to some friends and I was surprised at how much better it sounded - especially sounds with lots of top end like the DX7 style Rhodes that I used (don't hate me...). And here's that file if anyone wants to hear, all done in the Fusion: https://www.box.com/shared/z515dk0117

I have an Eminent strings patch that I think is from Hollow Sun. I've played it but don't use it much smile.gif

Cheers!
It's beautiful ! congratulations thumb.gif ; the recording is very clean ; thanks for sharing mister christian ! have a good week end !

• Members
That was very nice, Thierry! The sound was very clear, even though the volume is a bit low...
thanks ! yes I think too ! i have to work on that again !

let's play music !

salut mister Christian !
thierry

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tlnet37 View Post
Thank you mister madprof ! and yes, the discussions with mister Christian are interesting about the different ways (and equipments) to record while playing the Fusion.

You can download and convert the samples of the Eminent Phaser Strings from here (you must sign in, it's free) : http://www.sf2midi.com/soundfonts/fi...-sf2-1886.html

It's is a "JM Jarre" collection including laser harp and others in a sf2 format that you can convert in Fusion format with Fusion Convertor.

cheers !
thierry
Oh sorry I thought you were using the ones in the Hollow Sun library! That's the one I use, anyway. And I have a Novation Supernova 2 which can do an awesome Synthex impression so no need for the laser harp. wink.gif Sorry just showing off now. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by madprof

View Post

Oh sorry I thought you were using the ones in the Hollow Sun library! That's the one I use, anyway. And I have a Novation Supernova 2 which can do an awesome Synthex impression so no need for the laser harp. wink.gif Sorry just showing off now. wink.gif

ok ! Is Supernova analog ? have you any music or song or samples that you created, to share here ? I'm always interesting on how people play, record, all about their equipment etc. What about you, mister madprof ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived