Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I a fool for considering a Hammond xk3c?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own an XK System. If I wasn't intent on having a set of drawbars for each manual, I would strongly consider an SK2.

Comment

You could always buy a Hammond spinet (M3, M100, L100) and a Leslie (or Ventilator). A little more work to gig but totally worth it, IMHO. If you are a careful shopper and are willing to do basic electronic work when needed, you will also spend less!

Spinets also make nice keyboard stands if stage space is at a premium and you can't do the L-shaped thing... I just sit to play organ and stand to play piano. When I'm playing a mix, I stand and just use the swell manual.
      Do daemons dream of electric sleep()?

Comment

I do wish I could find out if any of these things send midi messages out when you move the drawbars. I'm not super hopeful, I've gotten confirmation that the vr760 won't do it. I bought a korg nano-control for use with my software organ but that's a pretty far cry from drawbars!

The PC3's sliders can be set to control any CC# so you can set the PC3 to control the lower drawbars of say an xk3c and use the PC3's keybed as the lower manual, giving you a psuedo dual manual, dual drawbar setup.
        '57 Hammond B3; '69 Hammond L100P; Hammond XM2/XMc2; '68 Leslie 122; Motion Sound Low Pro/Pro 3T; Neo Vent; Kurzweil PC3; Generalmusic Equinox 88 Pro and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; EV ELX112P; '67 Howard Combo Organ; http://www.dyinbreedband.com

Comment

The XK3c is the top item on my shopping list. I'll definitely be adding one before too long, tax refund time at the latest. I tried out a whole bunch of the other organ competitors, and nothing had the combination of sound and most importantly key feel and drawbars to beat the XK3c. The SK1 is tempting because of the weight and size difference -- I'm hauling close to 250lbs already in my full stage rig, and the XK3c would add about another 15lbs over the Korg Z1 it will replace -- but the XK definitely wins because I want just organ. When it comes down to the key feel, however, for me only the Hammonds are in the game.

I should point out that I haven't considered the Leslie sim quality because I don't use Leslie at all -- others can speak more about that than I can.

Martyn Wheeler (playing synthesizers/organ like it's 1973 in England)

now: Fredfin Wallaby
          was: The Gonzo Symphonic

Comment

One of the Sim options is a PR40 tone cabinet.

Comment

It's a great board. I have had one since 2008 and the XK-3 before that. You can't compare any Roland clone to it and they are not in the same league as a MOJO, KeyB, or Hammichord. When you are talking major clones there are only a few contenders.
              "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

The onboard leslie sim really sounds pretty decent. It's not perfect but even purists will balk at a clone wheel. I got a 3300 for the road but a Ventilator is highly regarded and smaller. Most audience members would probably find the onboard sim fine, although a real leslie arguably adds a lot of dimensionality to the sound.

Comment

Yes it will but you will need a preamp for it if the Leslie is a different vintage. If it is 11 pin it will be all set.
                  "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Outkaster
                    View Post

It's a great board. I have had one since 2008 and the XK-3 before that. You can't compare any Roland clone to it and they are not in the same league as a MOJO, KeyB, or Hammichord. When you are talking major clones there are only a few contenders.

True ,, the XK's are the gold standard for clone wheels,, however they are limitied on what else they can do.
                    "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

Another complexity is the physical size; the XK3c is easy to deal with but finding cases to fit the lower manual and foot pedals is challenging. The lower manual is very deep to accommodate the top manual and thus won't fit in a standard case AFAIK. The foot pedals are very large and very heavy, a fair bit heavier than a razor board for a tonewheel IMO. It's very unwieldy because of its size, and a hard case would definitely make it a two person job.

Each individual piece when broken down is smaller than a full size console, but once it's all in cases it takes up close to the same amount of room. Add the extra hassle of a second board, the XK stand to accommodate the depth, etc. and it becomes a bit of a hassle. If the SK2 had dual drawbars (or if the C3 had real drawbars (and preferably, better tone and manual)) I would strongly consider a dual manual keybed. You still have to get an odd sized case, but the weight is comparable and the hassle factor is lower.

Comment

XK3c kicks ass. However, also consider the Crumar Mojo. It's dual-manual, which might mean it's bulkier than you might want. But it has most of the controls and both manuals, and sounds at least as good as the XK3c.

I have an NE2 and like it a lot, but I'd recommend an NE only if you need the other sounds. The XK3c beats the NE3 in all other ways except size & weight.
                        learjeff.net

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                          View Post

True ,, the XK's are the gold standard for clone wheels,,

...was ...
                          '57 Hammond B3; '69 Hammond L100P; Hammond XM2/XMc2; '68 Leslie 122; Motion Sound Low Pro/Pro 3T; Neo Vent; Kurzweil PC3; Generalmusic Equinox 88 Pro and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; EV ELX112P; '67 Howard Combo Organ; http://www.dyinbreedband.com

Comment

The price of the XK's dropped like a rock for a reason- they weigh a ton and need a lot of tweaking to sound great, and if you're not adding the lower manual I would say it may not be a great choice, but then again the price is good, and it does sound good, so if you
                            My rig pictures

Comment

That

Comment

I can't see why the OP shouldn't take a closer look at the Hammond SK1. I seriously doubt that any other organ clone has a better built-in Leslie sim- I have never AB'd it to the XK3c but word has it that it is significantly improved. I also own the Ventilator leslie sim pedal, which does better grind and overdrive, but as far as the rotary effect itself I prefer that of the SK1- clearer and more defined. Also, the SK1 action is lighter and (for me) much more playable than Nords- very smooth and fast, not nearly as much springy "push-back" against your fingers. Hammond-Suzuki has a new update for the SK to give the option of a shallower trigger point (when not layering organ with other sounds) and although I haven't yet tried it, it seems to be well-received by clone freaks. Also clavs and EP's and some misc. sounds are very good, ac. pianos perfectly useable also IMO.

For me, the only downside to the SK1 is the tiny size. I stack mine on top of a digital piano so that isn't much of an issue. The time I gigged it by itself, the band kidded me about how it looked like a toy- but they noticed the BIG sound, for sure.
                                Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

Working...
                                X