Doepfer Dark Energy

zoink

• Members

I have the chance to buy a Doepfer Dark Energy for a good price, and was wondering what some of you thought of this synth. I read that it was discontinued earlier this year because the Curtis CEM3394 chip is no longer available, which also makes me wonder whether I should risk buying a synth that I can't have fixed if that chip fails.

I've listened to some YouTube videos of Dark Energy, and the sound seems kind of bleepy and perhaps not as musical as some other monosynths in that price range. Still, the idea of owning a semi-modular synth that's this small is kind of neat. It's very solidly built and has a lot of nice routing options.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zoink View Post
I have the chance to buy a Doepfer Dark Energy for a good price, and was wondering what some of you thought of this synth. I read that it was discontinued earlier this year because the Curtis CEM3394 chip is no longer available, which also makes me wonder whether I should risk buying a synth that I can't have fixed if that chip fails.

I've listened to some YouTube videos of Dark Energy, and the sound seems kind of bleepy and perhaps not as musical as some other monosynths in that price range. Still, the idea of owning a semi-modular synth that's this small is kind of neat. It's very solidly built and has a lot of nice routing options.

Doubt the chip will fail, I'd say you're safe for about 20 years at least before that would happen, probably more like 60.

Even if the oscillator fails you've still got a box with a real nice filter. If you don't want it send the deal along to me I want one.

• Members

There is (or will be) the DE II available that has a 12db multimode filter as opposed to the 24db filer in the DE I. I have the first version hooked up to the MiniBrute. It has a very "gnarly" and agressive sound to it IMO. You can get some pretty wild modulation rates with it. Not so much on the "warm" tones in my experience - but again, I'm using it combined with the MB, which can be pretty agressive as well if you want it to be! It does have some cool routing options - I also using a CP-251 with it as well. From what I've read so far - some people like the DE II, and some like the DE I. I will say that it works great in conjunction with the MB!!

Archived