String Synthesizers used in Songs

bruto

• Members

I've been using my GForce Virtual String Machine a lot lately and have been trying to find songs using string synths.

Here's a lost gem from the early 80s:

I think the synth used is a Korg PE-2000 Poly-Ensemble. On the Wake video, "Talk About the Past" keyboardist Carolyn Allen is clearly playing a Korg PE-2000? (2:02.) Unfortunately, 80s videos are notorious for using different synths (or even guitars) in videos than what's used on the recording.

New Order used an ARP Omni on a lot of their early stuff. The Wake and New Order were labelmates, so they could have shared instruments. Still, I think that it is the PE-2000 on this song.

One thing cool about the Virtual String Machine is that it's sampled note-for-note, so you can get fairly close to the original.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post

Here's a lost gem from the early 80s:

I think the synth used is a Korg PE-2000 Poly-Ensemble. On the Wake video, "Talk About the Past" keyboardist Carolyn Allen is clearly playing a Korg PE-2000? (2:02.) Unfortunately, 80s videos are notorious for using different synths (or even guitars) in videos than what's used on the recording.

New Order used an ARP Omni on a lot of their early stuff. The Wake and New Order were labelmates, so they could have shared instruments. Still, I think that it is the PE-2000 on this song.

One thing cool about the Virtual String Machine is that it's sampled note-for-note, so you can get fairly close to the original.

In my opinion, the thick chords/pads on "Melancholy Man" sound like a true polyphonic synth l(ike Prophet 5) rather than a Korg PE-2000. I could easily be wrong though.
They definitely used the Korg polyphonic live at the Hacienda back in '83 and '84. Have you tried to contact the band?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post
In my opinion, the thick chords/pads on "Melancholy Man" sound like a true polyphonic synth l(ike Prophet 5) rather than a Korg PE-2000. I could easily be wrong though.
They definitely used the Korg polyphonic live at the Hacienda back in '83 and '84. Have you tried to contact the band?
You know, when I first heard the song, I too thought it was a Prophet 5, so I'm not sure. But the only keyboard I've ever seen Carolyn play is the Korg PE-2000 in both the video and a few still photos. Very puzzling.

I think I will try to contact Carolyn Allen or Gerard McInulty.

EDIT: OK, I just sent an email to LTM records, The Wake's current label. Hopefully they'll forward it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OPEN OCEAN

View Post

still regret i sold my logan string machine a few months back....

Have you heard our fellow forumer Kebu what he does with Logan + Small Stone Phaser? Incredible sound. Worth checking on sound cloud or youtube.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OPEN OCEAN

View Post

still regret i sold my logan string machine a few months back....

Have you heard our fellow forumer Kebu what he does with Logan + Small Stone Phaser? Incredible sound. Worth checking on sound cloud or youtube.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
You know, when I first heard the song, I too thought it was a Prophet 5, so I'm not sure. But the only keyboard I've ever seen Carolyn play is the Korg PE-2000 in both the video and a few still photos. Very puzzling.

I think I will try to contact Carolyn Allen or Gerard McInulty.

EDIT: OK, I just sent an email to LTM records, The Wake's current label. Hopefully they'll forward it.
EDIT2: James Nice of LTM Records already forwarded the email! Thanks for the suggestion mikael488. Sometimes I forget that I live in the 21st century.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gaul

View Post

Dont want to do that cause my logan - which i bought for 50 euros - is not around anymore hahaha

Archived