Looking for a good and cheap synth.

Sic666

• Members

Well the title says everything and yes I checked the stickies but all the threads are 2-3 years old. What I want is mostly 8 bit and 16 bit video game sounds and that I can patch the synth with my computer. My budget is $200 I know I won't get the best but at least I want something that I could use until I get a better one.

• Members

+1 Plogue chipsounds

Also all the tweakbench Nintendo VSTs, ProtoPSG (for Colecovision, Sega Master System etc.) and VOPM (Sega MegaDrive/Genesis) ...these are all cheap as free. Plus a decimator effect.

QuadraSID too.

If you want a synth with keys and hands-on control you could sample these into a Korg MicroSampler or a Casio XW-G1 or even a SK-5 (though the SK-5 only holds 4 samples).

Some Casio keyboards have very Atari POKEY sounds on them, particularly in the drum kits.

Yamaha 4-op FM keyboards will get you the Sega Genesis sound like VOPM. 4-op FM was also used in arcade games like OutRun. Yamaha models are DX100, 21, 27, 11 and some I prob missed, also the Korg DS-1 and 707 keyboards. 2-op was used in older ones like Bubble Bobble and is available on some old Yamaha PSR keyboards.

Archived